upgrade swap without calling?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphonenub, Oct 9, 2011.

1. iphonenub macrumors regular

I know they can switch the imei over the phone but that is time consuming and allows them to make an error on their part. Is it possible to just get a microsim from an ATT store (free?) with my number and swap the microsims so when I turn it on my microsim is activated and the upgrader's old sim still works? I live practically next to an ATT store and I have trust issues...

2. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

You can do that, but the your existing phone will not work until you receive the iPhone 4s. How are you going to place the microsim into your old phone? I'm assuming you'll be getting it the day before?

3. iphonenub thread starter macrumors regular

I would get it the day before the expected delivery date is. I will be home all week during the day and have a home phone so I should be fine. Thanks!

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Do you currently have an iPhone 4 with a Micro-SIM or is your current phone using a larger Mini-SIM?

What phone line is the donor of the upgrade swap? That is the line that is tied to the new Micro-SIM. You can always pickup a new unactivated Micro-SIM before hand. Just make sure that you explain that you want it unactivated and then you can activate it at home using the new activation process with iOS 5.

You don't have to change the IMEI unless the donor line is not planning to have an iPhone data plan. You could just activate the iPhone 4S when you get it and then put your existing Micro-SIM in it at go.

You need to account for the donor line, does it need a larger Mini-SIM and do you need to remove the iPhone 4S IMEI to allow you to remove the new iPhone 4S data plan?

Dave

5. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Since you live next to an AT&T why don't you just let them do it in the store?

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The number of threads about an Upgrade Swap...

The number of people who make this far more complicated than it is...

Those who are too lazy to read...

Is simply mind boggling...

Apparently search is a word that's incomprehensible to some... very revealing.

Current estimates reflect that 40% to 55% of sales are upgrade swaps. AT&T has made the process so fast & easy there's NO REASON to swap sims. Yet that's one aspect of an upgrade swap that comes up here over & over & over & over.

"Look Ma, I'm swapping Sims"... Again :)

7. iphonenub thread starter macrumors regular

Everyone says to call AT&T and I don't trust their customer service because the donor is outside of the state. My plan simply is: get microsim with my # (mini sim in phone), get iPhone, swap sims, turn iPhone on.

Will that give me an iPhone with my number and keep the donors mini sim active? If so, that's all I needed to confirm. I don't want to have anyone switch anything for me because if they mess up I get screwed.

I'm sorry for posting another topic on this, I just like being in control and knowing that everything will work. I hope you guys understand.

8. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

That will work.

9. dave006 macrumors 68020

Did you order from Apple.com or AT&T?

This is key to doing an Upgrade Swap with out impacting the donor line and requiring the donor to get a new Micro-Sim. Do you have an exisiting active Micro-SIM on your line? If yes then you can just reuse it in the new iPhone 4S.

Last year Apple.com orders the iPhone 4 was parked on the line that ordered the iPhone 4 and the instructions required that you use iTunes to activate with that phone number, Micro-SIM using iTunes. This killed the existing SIM for the donor line. That's the reason the recommendation was to call AT&T Customer Care or stop by and AT&T Corporate Retail location with both phones.

You can still make this work with an Apple.com order if the Donor gets a new unactivated Mini-SIM since you mentioned that the donor line was using a Mini-SIM, that way if it get's deactivated in your self-run process, they can just activate the new Mini-SIM and be back in business. The purpose of re- registering the old IMEI on the donor line is to allow you to remove any iPhone data plan that was added. When your odered at Apple or AT&T you were force to pick an iPhone data plan for the donor line.

Again, do you currently have an active Miico-SIM for your line? You could always trim down your existing Mini-SIM using the new Miicro-SIM that comes with the iPhone 4s and continue to use it.

Dave

10. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Proper way to perform upgrade swap via AT&T

1) Wait for new phone to arrive.
    2) It comes with a Sim. No need to remove.
    3) Call AT&T request an upgrade swap.
    It's impossible for them to make an error since all IMEI & other identifying numbers are in their computer.
    The only reason they ask you for it is to confirm you have the phone in hand.
    4) Via computer (with no chance of error) they will reprogram the new phones sim (with your acct info)
    remotely over the air.

Why drive to the store for nothing?
    Why swap sims when the phone will not activate until you either call them or go to a store?
    You have no way to activate the phone without calling or going to a store. AT&T must verify that you have received the phone, hence the need to call or go in.

I do mine over the phone each year. The total time for an upgrade swap by phone is less than 15 minutes.

Again, the ID numbers are already in the computer, the rep does not enter anything. They simply ask you for the info so they know you have the phone. Obviously if you don't have the phone you can't answer the questions. It's for your security.

11. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

THIS THIS THIS!

People are making upgrade swaps seem way too complicated.

12. bellaisa macrumors regular

i plan on doing the same thing. question is, i want to sell the iphone i'm getting. after the swap, should i open the box take out the sim or can i leave it in there and its dead?