Upgrade Swap

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dblokrr, Sep 15, 2012.

1. dblokrr macrumors newbie

I am on a family plan and recently bought the new iPhone 5 with my fathers upgrade. I am looking to replace his current 3GS with my 4s and take his iPhone 5. I was able to pre-order online and should arrive at my house on 9/21. Is it possible to move his current line to my 4s and my line to the new iPhone 5? I would prefer if I could do this online or over the phone vs going to an actual ATT store. Is this also possible and what does the process consist of?

2. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

I've done that exact process before with ATT.

Suggest you contact your carrier.

3. dblokrr thread starter macrumors newbie

4. mtreys macrumors member

You will be able to change but due to the different SIM cards you will need to take a trip to an AT&T store to get different SIM cards. The reason why is the 5 that will be shipped to you will have one of the new micro-SIM. It will come programmed with the number that you used for the upgrade(your father's). So you'll have to go in to AT&T and have them give you a new micro-SIM with your number for the 5 and then he will need a new SIM going from the 3GS to the 4.

5. dblokrr thread starter macrumors newbie

will they try to give me a hard time about this when I go to the ATT store?

6. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

False. It can be done over the phone for the 5. There is an AT&T support page dedicated to this exact scenario.

http://www.att.com/esupport/iphoneupgradesupport.jsp?source=ECSAFBFAC00D1000S

The others may require a store trip depending on the rep you get.

7. mtreys macrumors member

Didn't see this. It used to not be this way but as I said, I switched away from AT&T so didn't know they changed the method.