Upgrade swap

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bhfsim, Jun 9, 2009.

1. bhfsim macrumors newbie

My girlfriend is up for the discounted upgrade and wants to give it to me. What is the best way to go about it? AT&T, Apple Store, Apple online store?

If I buy it online and they send it on the 19th, does it have to be activated under her name, or can I just activate it myself? If it has to be under her name initially, I should be able to switch it to mine whenever I want right?

Thank You for the time in answering.

2. Sean9689 macrumors member

I called AT&T today and asked this same question. I was told that all I need to do is take the SIM out of my 3G and put it in the 3G S and it should work with no problems. I ordered the phone using another # on my acct that was eligible for the $199 pricing (for 16GB) and purchased online via the Apple Store and had it shipped to my house so I don't have to deal with customer service and such. I figured it might be a PIA to pick it up at my local Apple Store or AT&T since I'm not using my own #.

3. bhfsim thread starter macrumors newbie

I was planning on doing the same, but I have the 1st gen iPhone. I think it's a 3g card however. Regardless if I have to go to AT&T for a new sim, that shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Thanks