Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flash88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Hey i'm new and hey hello heres my topic!

When i invested in an a 27incher, ha. I thought that with my basic computing knowledge that RAM still ruled the roost and video RAM wasnt a massive deal breaker. But it seems that with the ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB for the 27inch imac is.
I understand now that the video ram is waaay too little an amount for the display size.

I really want to upgrade my graphics card in the monetarily friendly way possible.
I am a graduate but trying to kick my career off as a graphic designer, i've found myself doing alot of 3d modeling and graphic intensive stuff on OSX side and i've been playing games on my windows 7 boot camped up.

I recently purchased 8gig of memory for a stunning £27 on amazon, which gives me 12gig but with regards to fullscreen gaming and rendering this makes a tiny bit of difference if not any.

Can i upgrade the card? i know all the jazz about voiding warranty and things and i've done some research but nothing has really stuck out at me (there are some things for example on ifixit, directions on how todo certain things and yahoo ask topics but they always seem to not very explanatory.

I'm looking for someone who has felt the same way as me and is a success story basically of upgrading and where would i go about buying one that is as cheap as possible. Which of course would be a match for match system but a total upgrade.

If its not possible is there anyway to properly optimise my graphics card?

Thanks for your help guys!

:)

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I find the process of trying to upgrade anything in an iMac difficult. And finding parts is another thing. It isn't exactly the same as doing it in a typical PC.

As far as optimizing the card, you could possibly go into bootcamp and try to overclock it, but dont quote me on that, I'm not exactly sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.