Upgrade then reformat or reformat then update?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by frostiebyte, Jul 18, 2016.

1. frostiebyte macrumors newbie

hi, currently im on mid 2012 macbook pro running on mountain lion or mavericks.. i wanna upgrade to el captain but i also want to reformat my macbook.. (new school starting so wanna delete all my old stuff after i saved at external hdd..) which is faster/better?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The fastest would be to download El Capitan now and use the installer to make a USB key installer. Then option key boot to that and erase the internal drive and install El Capitan from the USB key. Otherwise you will be installing twice for no real benefit.

3. frostiebyte thread starter macrumors newbie

oh.. just wonder how big is the whole el captain? can i use my external hdd for it or i should get 1 usb that is dedicated for this? anyway speaking of it i also have bootcamp install.. is it wiser to remove bootcamp and the partition before upgrading & reformat? (got no more use for bootcamp anymore i already have a pc now)

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The OS installer is about 7GB. You can use the external if you want. Just make an 8GB partition on it and make the USB installer on that partition. Then once you boot to the installer just use Disk Utility to erase the entire drive, including the Windows partition. When in the erase tab of Disk Util pick the drive itself at the top of the left column, then erase to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and that will format the whole drive to one partition.

5. frostiebyte thread starter macrumors newbie

alright thank you!!! last question i promise kinda sounds dumb but just need to clarify for time management..

when i update does it go straight to el captain? or it will go 1 by 1 to maverics,yosmete then elcaptain

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Before you do anything, go now to the Mac App Store and download El Capitan then follow this to make the installer USB key/drive. Then you can option key boot to the installer drive and erase the internal drive and install. That will give you a clean install on the drive with El Capitan.

7. frostiebyte thread starter macrumors newbie

not doing it now tho gonna change my battery and charger 1st.. (battery abit bloated and trackpad was not working so need to change it.. charger wires also poping out)

oooooooooh okay so technically im not really upgrading more like reformatting it to a new OS.. okok thanks i got it now!!