upgrade Tiger to Leopard WTB?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ronny's, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Ronny's macrumors newbie

I have a 17" G4 macbook pro. I have Tiger and want to upgrade to 10.5-10.5.8. Anyone know where I can purchase either a standalone or upgrade?:(

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

They are all over Ebay and Amazon at varying prices, but the usual going rate is anywhere from $50-70. Be sure you're getting the black and purple "retail" disk and not a system-specific gray disk.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Wow…there are a lot of things wrong there with your first sentence.

Do you have a MBP or a PowerBook G4? There is no such thing as a G4 MBP.

MBPs have an Intel processor. PowerBook G4s have a PowerPC processor.

Either way, eBay and craigslist are two good places to start. You'll want the retail version with the X on it. Gray discs are system specific.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Go to :apple: --> About This Mac and report back with the processor and memory information. PowerBooks and MacBook Pros both came in 17" variants and look strikingly similar, however the architecture is totally different. If it turns out to be a PowerPC G4 then a standard purple Leopard disk is necessary, if it is an Intel MacBook Pro you may be able to purchase a restore disk for Leopard at a more affordable rate.

Attached Files:

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Makes not difference if it is a PowerBook or MacBook Pro. OP can run Leopard on either. :apple:

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It does as the Intel MacBook Pros could use a (much more affordable) restore disk where as the PowerPC PowerBooks can only use a retail disk.

7. weckart macrumors 68040

My Macbook and Macbook Pro both came with Tiger, so not necessarily and since OP is already running Tiger he is in the same boat.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Depending on the model, some originally shipped with Tiger and later shipped with Leopard. Provided that no license agreement is violated, one could use a restore disk for the same model Pro with Leopard.

9. Ronny's thread starter macrumors newbie

ooops sorry meant Powerbook G4....
    thankx guys for the tips on purchase ...

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Make sure you get the retail Leopard disk then.

11. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Just to reiterate, the disk that you're looking for looks like the below. The packaging for it is a small square box with the same general color scheme.

There are no other disks that will work for your computer. Since Leopard was released well into the Intel era(2007) there are no "gray" disks that will work on a PowerPC computer-only the Retail disk will install on a PPC computer.

Attached Files:

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Leopard restore discs will work, as long as you can get it to install on to an APM formatted drive for use in a PPC Mac. They contain universal code and all the drivers needed for PowerPC Macs. It's generally a too large of a hassle to get it to install though.

13. Member2010, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014

Member2010 macrumors regular

clarification and answers

Not to nitpick here, but this was something that bugged me when Steve Jobs spoke too, so I thought I'd vocalize it here:

You have x86 architecture processors and computers and you have PowerPC architecture processors and computers.
    You have Intel or AMD branded processors in the computers which use the x86 architecture and you have IBM branded processors in the computers which use the PowerPC architecture.
    You should not say "Intel or PowerPC processors" in the same way that it doesn't make sense to say "x86 or IBM processors". If you're talking about architectures, talk about architectures; if you're talking about brands, talk about brands. By this token, what was meant in the quoted statement was:

or
    I don't mean to rock anyone's world with this, just sayin' :D.

14. Intell, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014

Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not all PowerPC based Macs have an IBM CPU in them. All G4's have a Motorola CPU in them. eyoungren's statement is rather correct and better suited for differencing the two in that x86 Macs have only ever used Intell CPUs where PowerPC Macs have use two different brands of CPUs. Lastly, saying that Powerbook G4's have an IBM CPU is not correct.

15. HereBeMonsters macrumors 6502

HereBeMonsters

So are all versions of 10.5 Retail the same then? There weren't separate versions for PCC and x86?

16. weckart macrumors 68040

All retail versions are universal. That is for definite. Grey disks shipped with hardware may or may not have been universal. Judging from Intell's comment above, these appear to be universal, too.

There were also Drop In CPU disks, which resemble retail disks in that they have a purple label. Those may or may not have been universal. I suspect some were Intel only as Apple had already dropped PPC by then and was moving away from it. The Drop In disks were slipped into the boxes of Apple computers originally shipping with Tiger but sold after Leopard came out.

There is only one known version of Leopard, which is PPC only and it is something cobbled together by an individual and put online as a restore volume. Nothing Leopard from Apple was PPC only.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

All Leopard discs are universal and contain both PowerPC and Intell code.

18. Member2010 macrumors regular

cleanup

Fair enough; I was unaware that more than one party produced PPC processors. In that case, the comparison should've been "Motorola and Intel Processors" or even "PowerPC and x86 architectures", not a mixture of CPU brands and architectures, that was my point :).

With the exception of the special slimmed down PowerPC-Only version mentioned earlier, yes.