Upgrade time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ry4n525, Nov 1, 2010.

1. ry4n525 macrumors newbie

I have a 2006 Macbook Pro with a 2ghz core duo processor. It has 2 gigs of ram and 128mb of vram. The battery is completely dead, it holds a charge for half an hour at the most. The optical drive does not work at all, I've disassembled it and cleaned the lens with no luck. I've experienced the same problem many users face with the drive not recognizing any type of media, therefore spitting it back out. Now on to the big issue...At times my external display will have normal color and then it will randomly have a pink hue to it. It will flash back and forth or stay this color for an extended period of time. I'm not sure if it's the monitor or the graphics card. I have noticed that when the computer gets hot the card acts up more and I understand that this is to be expected. When this occurs, I get tiny horizontal lines that show on my main display and they consist of funky colors. I have tested this on another display but I have not done so for an extended period of time to rule out the fact that it might be my display. With all of this being said, is it possible that my graphics card is on it's way to a timely end? Would you upgrade to the latest iMac with the i7 or just replace the parts of my current Macbook Pro?

2. Xil3 macrumors regular

Hard to say if it's your graphics card or just your monitor - have you tried the monitor with a different computer?

I'd definitely look at getting an upgrade, though.

3. ry4n525 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to bump this thread along, I've take a picture of the problem that seems to persist with the graphics card. I've using another external monitor and have confirmed that the external was at fault; however, I still have the line across my screen that disappears once the machine cools down. Right now my machine is running at 145F. Any thoughts?

Attached Files: