Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morrius

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
I'm thinking about getting a new MBP for grad school, with the intent of putting my old iBook G4 into reserve and giving my iMac 20" to a family member who is in dire need of a new computer. But I'm not sure what this upgrade is going to offer in terms of computing power. What can I expect for the Nehalem system architecture and Mac OS 10.6, and will they be released by August 09?

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
No one knows anything bout the new computers and I don't think anyone knows for sure the actual date of Nehalem but I've heard Winter '09 Jan-Mar.

Surely the new operating system can't be what's persuading you whether or not to get a new notebook.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm thinking about getting a new MBP for grad school, with the intent of putting my old iBook G4 into reserve and giving my iMac 20" to a family member who is in dire need of a new computer. But I'm not sure what this upgrade is going to offer in terms of computing power. What can I expect for the Nehalem system architecture and Mac OS 10.6, and will they be released by August 09?

Nobody knows for certain. Wait and see the current - imminent - updates and buy if you need a computer. In any manifestation, the MBP is a superb computer - I have one and it's excellent, the best computer I have ever had by a considerable margin - and you won't regret getting it. If you need one, buy now, or soon, if you merely want one, wait until what you want is issued.
Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.