Upgrade to 10.5 leopard and lost emails

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by athenal, Apr 9, 2010.

1. athenal macrumors newbie

Hi - I just upgraded to leopard on my mom's iMac G4. I did a install and archive but when I opened her Mail there were no emails. It saved all her mailboxes but there are no old emails. All her info in iCal and Address book are there... nothing else seems to be missing. I have a back up of her users setting from 10.3 so I know have her emails but don't know what I should do? Help!

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Did you also choose the "Preserve Users and Network Settings" option as well?

If not, the emails can be found in /Previous System/Users/yourusername/Library/Mail

3. athenal thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure I did. Once I chose install and upgrade it also defaulted to that option.... any ideas? I can double check previous system but then what do I do?

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Don't tell me you still use POP3? Time to drop that dinosaur and move to IMAP.

5. athenal thread starter macrumors newbie

I just want the old emails.... I don't know the difference between POP3 and IMAP. If you have a solution to my problem I'd love to hear it....

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

7. athenal thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I'm not at my parents.... will have to check tomorrow. If it's in the Previous system folder do I just import the emails/files? Thanks.

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

In Apple Mail you can Import, choose Apple Mail and select the Mail folder in the Previous System folder when prompted. You will then be able to select and import the mailboxes found there.

9. dandiggs macrumors newbie

This happened to me on one of my machines. This worked for me:

Make sure Mail is closed/quit. In Finder, go to your user Library, then Application Support and drag the "Mail" folder to your Desktop. DO NOT delete it. Then, open up Mail again. It will want to set up Mail a fresh, don't do anything, just quit. Then replace the Mail folder from your Desktop back to the Application Support folder and reopen Mail. It should now recognize your mail. It may have to rebuild the mail index or something, but should then work. Hope this helps!

10. athenal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both! I will try both suggestions and see what works....

11. athenal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks both for your help... neither option worked to restore the missing emails. There were no files in the previous system and when I moved the mail file in and out of the Application Support that didn't do anything. Having some other issues so just going to call Apple.. Thanks again.