Upgrade to 10.6.3? I don't think so.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by -aggie-, Mar 30, 2010.

1. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

From what I can tell so far, it seems like upgrading to 10.6.3 is not a good idea, from looking at all the posts on the first page of the Mac OS X forum. I opened update yesterday to upgrade after seeing it was available, but just left the screen open to see how things were going with others. I think I made the right decision.

I'm beginning to wonder if Microsoft bought Apple and we don't know about it yet.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

10.6.3 was quite heavy update "fixing" a lot issues so I wasn't surprised that there are some issues occurring. I've had zero though.

Let's hope Apple brings the "10.6.3.1" soon ;)

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While its always advisable to wait, (I didn't ;) ) the update appears to be very solid, with only sporadic instances of people having issues. From my experiences, its been solid. I updated my Mac last night and I've been using it all day to day without any issues/

4. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

The thing is, I didn't have any issues (or at least not ones I knew about). There are things I would have liked to be added, but I doubt they added any new capability in the update.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yea I got your point and yeah, if you have no issues, then it may be better to just hang with 10.6.2. There are people happy with e.g. 10.5.4 because it works for them.

6. martynmc7 macrumors regular

For what it's worth both my 13" MBP and 20" iMac have been absolutely fine on 10.6.3, I wouldn't worry too much, issues tend to be the exception not the rule.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

With every update, with every thread about it, people post their issues, and every time the Micro$oft comparison is made, etc. etc. etc.

The majority of the users who have no issues, you won't hear about them.

10.6.3 running on 2 Macs here, and 10.6.3 Server on one Mac, and all work perfectly.
    Just make sure your Mac was running normally before doing such an upgrade.

8. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

There's a pretty huge list of security fixes in 10.6.3. For that reason alone, it's worth upgrading to.

9. kasakka macrumors 68000

10.6.3 finally made Expose and stack animations smooth on my 13" MBP. Haven't noticed any issues yet.

10. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

Graphics Issues, But Other Than That, Sweet Update

Hey, 10.6.3 is solid on my MBA (in Signature) but i'm having weird graphics glitches, i'm putting this down to Adobe Flash Player, since it happens when i'm on YouTube lol, it's either that or VLC lol, can anyone help?

Attached Files:

11. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I have no problems with 10.6.3. I had a little blip with pro-tools, but another reboot seemed to fix that.

Everything's fine, I can't find no bugs.

12. ecapdeville macrumors member

ecapdeville

Seems that Auto upgrade option is not able to select the apropiate version for every mac out there... I downloaded the complete upgrade version and saved it because I have 3 macs running 10.6 and I didnt want to download more than 700Mb thrice!...

Upgraded all my macs yesterday and the three of them are healthy and running fine (with the exception of random problems with internet browsers trying to read flash movies)

13. funwithamar macrumors regular

14. nobackup macrumors member

nobackup

15. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

The thread title is basically what my SUS is saying to me.

16. sputacus macrumors regular

I always make a clone of my system just prior to any update/upgrade of OSX, so that I can immediately re-clone it back to its previous state in case there were any issues or problems with the update. I got my Mac last year with 10.5.6 and installed every update/upgrade since then - never had an issue with any one of them (I never had to re-clone my system)...

17. chrirule macrumors newbie

It's all good... mostly...

I'm a network admin and manage several hundred Macs & PCs. For the most part the upgrade to 10.6.3 has been flawless with one exception- my workstation!!

I was encountering some sort of error that was killing the upgrade before the reboot stage. I always download the full combo update. I tried all sorts of things and the solution was to increase the maximum number of files the system can have open. The full solution is at http://kremtech.com/wordpress/2010/03/trouble-upgrading-to-mac-10-6-3/ .

Hope this helps!

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have had no problems with the update
    I am afraid people are quick to blame any issues they are having on a new update

And if there isn't an update handy to blame, they will claim they have a virus ;)

19. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I have no issues so far that I've seen in 10.6.3. In fact, I saw a significant speed improvement, especially with my VMs in VMware Fusion and Parallels. The new/bega releases of those products were specifically designed for 10.6.3, so its a no brainer to take advantage of that.

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

For the first time since Snow Leopard came out, 10.6.3 fixed it so I can edit/save Microsoft Office files on a SMB share (which is exactly how the company I work for is setup).

For the past seven months, I was having to copy the !@#$ files from the network to my desktop, make my edits, and then copy them back to the network.

10.6.3 is a godsend. :D

21. colinsky macrumors member

colinsky

I was irked at first that 10.6.3 re-set my display profile to the factory default for the Dell U2410, and the calibrated profile that I'd created so painfully a few months ago now turned the whole screen green.

I have a three-monitor setup on my Mac Pro quad 2.66, two GT-120s, and last time it took me too days with a Spyder Express to get them all vaguely similar in color, and I wasn't looking forward to doing it again.

But one calibration cycle later, they're all the same color! It's a miracle!

22. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

No real issues. It changed my background image back to the default one and that was it. Other then that. I have not experienced anything going a skew.

23. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

QFT. If for no other reason, upgrade for the security patches!

24. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Updated and have experienced no problems so far.

25. Skippy440 macrumors member

Skippy440

I've had no issues with my MB since installing the update.

Mind you I had no issues prior so I haven't noticed a difference.
    I agree that some are too quick to jump to the conclusion that the updates
    cause problems. If you were experiencing issues prior to the update, and
    the update description doesn't indicate that it will address whatever your
    problem is, then don't blame the update for not fixing or "creating" issues
    on your machine.

Any Mac updates installed so far haven't created any problems so far.