Upgrade to 10.6 or wait for 10.6.1?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by badlydrawnboy, Aug 24, 2009.

  1. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2003
    #1
    In the past I've often waited until the first revision of a new OS to upgrade. I've avoided a lot of headaches that way.

    However, I wonder if that's necessary with 10.6, since it's essentially very similar to 10.5. From what I gather, many applications that run on 10.5 will run on 10.6 without much tweaking - if any.

    For this reason, I'm thinking 10.6 might be pretty solid coming out of the gate. But of course that might not be a safe assumption.

    What do you think?
     
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #2
    I think you should wait to see how either of them actually work.
     
  3. soup4you2 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    #3
    I would say just be safe and wait for 10.6.1, there should be no rush really as your not going to have any real new features, other than a slight increase in speed.
     
  4. wallaby macrumors 6502

    wallaby

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    Location:
    Iowa
    #4
    I'm going to give it a week or so to see what sort of crying/complaining the new 10.6 update causes here... if it's not too much, I may just go ahead and upgrade. It's not like the release of 10.5 where they were implementing a ton of new stuff.
     
  5. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2003
    #5
    That's a good point. Not too many obvious new features - just under the hood improvements. 10.5.8 is extremely solid for me so I don't really want to trade that for something that isn't totally stable.
     
  6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #6
    Given that we know nothing about either, I am not sure how we can make a recommendation. I'd say wait until 10.6.5
     
  7. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2005
    Location:
    London
    #7
    I've been using it as my primary OS on one box for a month now. The only issue has been 3rd party plugins.

    I rate 10.6.0 as stable as any point release we've had from 10.5.2 onward.

    Give it a couple of days to see if there's a particular piece of software you need is unsupported or is glitchy. Other than that i wouldn't bother waiting for 10.6.1.
     
  8. sidewinder macrumors 68020

    sidewinder

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Northern California
    #8
    Nothing big, they just about rewrote the whole OS and implemented several new core technologies. Hardly any thing different.....yeah, right!

    Yes, there are lots of changes and potential for many bugs. But, I am going to install it as soon as I get it!

    S-
     
  9. Amdahl macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2004
    #9
    I'm waiting for the retail refresh, unless the first refresh is 10.6.1. Then I'll wait for the second refresh.
     
  10. uaecasher macrumors 65816

    uaecasher

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2009
    Location:
    Stillwater, OK
    #10
    upgrade to 10.6, I have been using it as beta since 3 months and it works like a charm
     
  11. xlii macrumors 68000

    xlii

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2006
    Location:
    Millis, Massachusetts
    #11
    I was looking for the "Should I wait for 10.7" thread but I guess this will do. If you are concerned, wait a few days and check back here in macrumors. There will be problems... there always are. But you'll be able to see if there are any big issues that are effecting lots of people. It's fun being the first, but sometimes those arrows hurt.
     
  12. rwilliams macrumors 68040

    rwilliams

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2009
    Location:
    Durham, NC
    #12
    I'll be waiting, and checking these forums regularly to see what issues (if any) people are having. If everything sounds cool after a few weeks, I'll install it.
     
  13. uaecasher macrumors 65816

    uaecasher

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2009
    Location:
    Stillwater, OK
    #13
    I'll be checking 10.6 and posting the things you will read :p
     
  14. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

    GimmeSlack12

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2005
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #14
    I think this upgrading issue is WAY overblown. The chance of any disasters happening is minuscule.
     
  15. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

    Shake 'n' Bake

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    Location:
    Albany
    #15
    I've been in the same boat as the OP, but reading that the last seed is stable enough, I think I'll install it ASAP. I'm only worried about iMovie HD 6.
     
  16. ravenshadow13 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2009
    #16
    I'm waiting. Perhaps just holding out for two years until I get a new system.

    I'm worried about two of my programs not working, I guess I'll wait and see. And I might wait out for iLife/iWork '10 and SL... My luck I'd get the '09 set and they'll upgrade to '10 the next day.
     
  17. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

    Shake 'n' Bake

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    Location:
    Albany
    #17
    That happened to me, except with '08. I got iWork '08 for Christmas, and two weeks or so later, '09 was introduced. I was just outside the upgrade qualification dates.
     
  18. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #18
    To be safe, you really should wait till 10.7.5

    Seriously, the OS isn't even out yet and people are wondering if they should hold off. Go for it, life is short
     
  19. ravenshadow13 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2009
    #19
    Oh don't worry. I have an early '08 white macbook. Do you know how many people have those? No one. Because I was dumb and got it RIGHT before the late 2008 ones came out. About a month before.

    So I'm just plotting and waiting two years before I get a whole new setup. And everyone will be stuck with these Late 2008/early 2009 deals.

    Which is kind of why I'm not upgrading to SL or iWork '09... I don't think. I have iWork '08. I was worried about my version of iMovie working with a specific type of file, but whatever, I'm just going to wait and safely use my Photoshop Elements on Leopard with no worries, and use my boyfriend's full version on his (cough) Dell.

    This also happened to me with my phone. I got an enV2 just over a month before the enV3 came out.

    So I'm just going to wait.
     
  20. dwman macrumors 6502

    dwman

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #20
    Not sure how accurate this is, but for those concerned with 3rd party programs, this website supposedly tracks what works and what doesn't on Snow Leopard. Personally, I'm going to hold off for a month or so until the underlying kinks are worked out. I'm pretty happy with 10.5.8, so don't see a need to rush out and upgrade on the first day.

    http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/
     
  21. ravenshadow13 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2009
    #21
    I did see that! And it says Photoshop Elements 6 does not work, and does not list the other program that I use regularly. That's part of why I'm waiting.

    Do you think it will like... improve? Or will those programs just never work again once you upgrade?
     
  22. dwman macrumors 6502

    dwman

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #22
    I'm sure most to all of these will be updated eventually unless development has ceased. The bigger question is when and how long will it take each company/developer to update. This is part of the reason I'm waiting as well. I want pretty much all my apps to be SL compatible before I upgrade. If you use a program that's not on the list, I would go to the website and email them to see how long it will take them to update.
     
  23. ravenshadow13 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2009
    #23
    Exactly. And for me, my laptop doesn't have that sweet multitouch capability anyway. I doubt my system will start to crash or something, it's been running fine for the year that I've had it, and I'd rather make sure I can keep using my apps. And wait for iWork '10 maybe.
     
  24. safetyobc macrumors 6502

    safetyobc

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2007
    Location:
    Arkansas
    #24
    I too am waiting to see what happens. I am happy with Leopard 10.5.x I'll wait to see how it goes for everyone else.
     
  25. nutmac macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2004
    #25
    Another vote for 10.6.1. Although 10.6 looks like a small upgrade to the end-user, it represents a major change to applications and hardware. Although most apps work fine, some either don't work (e.g., Cyberduck, DiskWarrior, most of the Safari hacks, many of the HP LaserJet printers) or don't function properly (e.g., Aperture crashes on large export job, Flip4Mac performance issues). I wouldn't try to override 10.6 to run in 64-bit kernel mode, which introduces additional issues.
     

Share This Page