Upgrade to 13" rMBP (8GB/16GB) or 15" rMBP from 2010 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bleighv, Jun 25, 2015.

1. bleighv macrumors regular

bleighv

So it's time to upgrade my 2010 13" MBP, it's been a trooper but it has got to go lol..

I use it for basic web browsing (just a handful of tabs, maybe 4-8), video streaming, doc editing.. I also do some light-moderate video editing in iMovie and photo editing in Pixelmator (nothing at the professional level, just some videos and pictures of family and events we attend). I play The Sims occasionally too.

I would assume the new 13" rMBP would work fine since my old one was doing okay, just a bit sluggish and it starts to burn up the second I open iMovie. If I do end up going with the 13", would you recommend the 16GB upgrade according to my current usage? I don't plan on changing how I use my computer in the foreseeable future. Orrrrr, would it be best just to get the base 15" rMBP?

I should also add that the 13" screen size doesn't bother me at all. I actually prefer the smaller size but I'm worried about the processing aspect of the 13" rMBP compared to the 15".

Sorry for the wordy post..

2. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

For your needs, the base 13" rmbp will do fine. No need for 16gb ram or i7 processors for what you need it to do. The only thing I'd upgrade is the storage. 512gb would be good.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Hi there,

I would usually say to consider the 15'' only if you can utilize a quad-core CPU or if you see yourself needing a dedicated GPU (albeit mid-range). Going by what you have listed, I'll go ahead and second the suggestion to stick with the 13'' rMBP, especially since you mentioned that you enjoy the smaller size of it in comparison.

I definitely would stick with 8 GB for your RAM and there doesn't seem to be much of a reason for you to invest in quad-core CPUs or dedicated GPUs, especially if you don't see yourself changing your usage in the future. If that is the case, it's best to just not spend money on hardware that you won't be making use of.

I hope this helps.

4. bleighv thread starter macrumors regular

bleighv

Thank you for your suggestions. I was thinking to get the 512GB for storage and you've confirmed that thought for me now lol. Thanks again!

This was a really great and detailed explanation on why to go with the 13", I think I will go ahead and take that advice too haha.
    Thank you!

5. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I think that's more because of the Core 2 Duo and conventional hard drive in your 2010 MBP.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

2010 is sluggish because of the hdd. Upgrade it to an ssd.