Upgrade to 13" rMBP now or wait for 2016 rMBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JerTheGeek, Apr 10, 2016.

  1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

    JerTheGeek

    Joined:
    May 15, 2014
    #1
    I currently have a MacBook Air 13", 2014. It works really well and I enjoy it. However I am wanting to upgrade to a rMBP for the retina screen and increased performance. I was planning on upgrading in the next month or so, but with the 2016 rMBPs looming, I was wondering if it would be worth it to wait. I'm looking to buy refurbished. Anyone think it would be worth it to wait until the 2016 models are released and then available as refurbs? Would this be too long to wait?
     
  2. keviig, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016

    keviig macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2012
    #2
    Only you can know if it is too long of a wait. If you enjoy having the latest and greatest i'd consider waiting, seeing as we're looking at a possible design refresh, not just internal updates. However, the current early 2015 13" rMBP is a terrific machine, you can't really go wrong with it.
     
  3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    #3
    Def. wait. The current model isn't all that different from the past few years except for graphics and CPU bumps. The next model (hopefully June) should have Skylake, GPU performance bump + USB-C and TB3. I also expect at least one rMBP model to have a 4K screen.

    FWIW I'm still happily using my mid-2012 rMBP. I will upgrade once the above is available -- 4K screen would be nice but not must have for me.
     
  4. ciaoben macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2016
    #4
    I am with @Chupa. I am in your same conditions, but I am waiting for the next model to show up.

    I am really happy with my mid 2012 mbp 13, but I would love to update to a retina display... I think it makes an enormous difference on a small screen
     
  5. d0minick macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2011
    #5
    In the boat like many. Gave up my cMBP13 a few weeks ago. Between a Win desktop, and 2010 MacAir 11. Impatiently waiting, and i might pull the trigger because i can care less about USBC & TB3.

    Honestly, I am waiting because i believe it will be lighter. The MB is too weak, and the MacAir (my preferred machine) doesn't have a retina. Rock-Me-HardPlace

    Hoping for a April/May announcement. I think a new osx, ios, & watch announcement will be enough for WWDC w/o adding on Mac announcements. And if they wait for the fall they will have lost me.
     
  6. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

    JerTheGeek

    Joined:
    May 15, 2014
    #6
    A design refresh would be nice, seeing as I'm slightly reluctant to give up my MBA's lovely design for the more blocky current rMBP. The MBA design is what made me want to switch to a Mac in the first place.
    But also, like you said, the current one is perfectly fine and would serve me well for a good long while. However, I plan on this to be a good investment for the future, so waiting would be the wiser move as I'd get updated processors and I/O.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 10, 2016 ---
    The Air is my preferred machine too in terms of design, but I want retina, so the rMBP is my only option. The increased performance will be nice to have as well, since I do video editing in iMovie, and may do more intense video editing in the future.
     
  7. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2016
    #7
    I think it depends on your needs. If you need it now? Get it now. There are some solid deals in the refurb shop and it'll be a good machine, regardless of something new around the corner.

    That being said, if you don't need it now and don't mind using the Air for another 8-12 months while waiting for the new model to become available as a refurb, it might be worth waiting. I say might, as I've seen both rumors of a design refresh and sky lake across the board, as well as of a small, silent upgrade.

    As someone who was in a similar position, I went with buying a 15" MBP now. I didn't want to wait, and at nearly $400 off it was a good deal for a machine that'll last me several years. Worst case scenario is that a redesign happens, I really like it, and replace this MBP in a year or so with the new model (once refurbished).

    I'd say to weigh your options and needs now, and see if it's worth more to you to buy it now or wait.
     
  8. rip-the-jacker macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    #8
    totally agree, good price, good laptop regardless, not too fussed about new i/o or redesign, and if i do like it more, suck it up and replace.



    RTJ
     
  9. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

    JerTheGeek

    Joined:
    May 15, 2014
    #9
    Those are good points. I'm not really worried about getting new I/O or updated processors, as it will already be a decent upgrade from my Air anyway. As far as a redesign, it may be nice, but not too big of a deal. And Apple very well may just keep the same design.
    All I know is, I'm in the position where I can afford to upgrade now, at the end of the year I may not be, so at this point I think I'll just go for it soon.
     
  10. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2016
    #10
    Always a safe choice. Happy buying!
     
  11. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

    JerTheGeek

    Joined:
    May 15, 2014
    #11
    Thanks ;)
    And yeah, id rather buy now when I know I can afford it, than wait for upgrades that I may not even be able to buy.
     
  12. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2016
    #12
    Or alternatively, upgrades you may not like. Personally, I'd take guaranteed power and reliability now over a new design that may not fit my needs or may have issues that aren't quite worked out at launch.
     
  13. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

    JerTheGeek

    Joined:
    May 15, 2014
    #13
    Totally. And I could see Apple bringing out a new design like the retina MB for the rMBP, which would not be ideal.
     
  14. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

    Howard2k

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2016
    #14
    I'm waiting. I might not like the new laptops; if that's the case I'll hopefully at least get a good discount at that time on today's range.
     
  15. jonnysods macrumors 603

    jonnysods

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2006
    Location:
    There & Back Again
    #15
    For sure wait. You're just a month or two away from a significantly updated machine IMO.
     
  16. Macaman macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2014
    #16
    I would wait aswell. We are way to close to a major update now, so if you have a working computer then try to be patient.
     
  17. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2016
    #17
    That's my fear as well - Apple going for form over function, as they did with the rMB. That being said, I was shopping for a total desktop replacement in the 15". For me a lot of power in a mobile package was important - and I can't see getting that in an ultra-slim design right now. Maybe Apple will prove me wrong, and I hope they do for the sake of innovation and progress. But I found a good deal and didn't feel like gambling on a rumor that came out of Digitimes, a source that's notoriously wrong a good majority of the time.

    My personal bet is current models getting processor and graphics bumps to last another year before a redesign.
     
  18. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

    JerTheGeek

    Joined:
    May 15, 2014
    #18
    Yeah may just be a simple silent refresh this year.
     

Share This Page