Upgrade To 2.8GHz 15" UMBP Worth It?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OneBlueFire, Jun 10, 2009.

1. OneBlueFire macrumors member

OneBlueFire

Ok... I'm probably gonna sound like a guy who has absolutely no idea that there's a recession going on, but here goes... ;)

I've got the 1st gen UMBP (15" 2.53GHz, 4GB, 320GB). Got it in October the day it came out. The release of the new 15" with Internal Battery got my heart beating pretty hard... Come to think of it, ANY new release gets my heart pumping. :rolleyes:

I just wanna know if the differences between the 2 are worth the upgrade.

Here're the answers to the questions you'll probably ask:

1. I don't sell my machines. I usually just pass them on to my younger sis or bro or just keep 'em on my desk to loan 'em to friends every now and then or for when I need an extra machine.

2. No, I'm not a video editor or graphics designer by profession, although I do a little graphics design for my business every now and then. 85% of the time, I use my machines for surfin' the net. 6% for playing light games. 5% for document typing and video watching. 4% for graphics editing.

3. 90% of the time, I have direct access to a wall outlet.

Seriously, I'm just the type who likes knowing that all that stuff is under the hood despite not having a need for it. :D

Are the differences between the 2 UMBPs worth losing sleep over?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not at all.

3. onehoop macrumors member

onehoop

I would gladly prepare a detailed report on the differences between the two machines if you'd agree to pass along your 2.53 to me instead of your sibs!

Some people would say that you have the superior device because they have a fancy card for the fancy slot and no use for the SD slot, but that would be denying the superior processor and video card of the 2.8. Also, are you able to upgrade to 8GB RAM? Well, you probably don't need to. Install a RAM monitor widget and when you are using as many programs as you ever use, check to see how low it is. If it gets below ~100MB, you might want to upgrade. Or if you have problems with choppy video that does not seem to be related to network traffic. Otherwise, my advice is to buy a nice painting instead.

Preferably something from a local bar or coffee shop, but maybe from a gallery depending upon your community. ::grin::

M@

4. OneBlueFire thread starter macrumors member

OneBlueFire

Actually, the video cards are the same. I've got the 512...

Paintings? Not really into paintings... Love photographs though. LOL!

So, 4GB of RAM will be good for me for the next year or so? How long is this machine (or any laptop investment in general) supposed to last me, by the way? I have this notion that I should upgrade every year or 2... Is that how most people treat their laptops or do they do it in shorter or longer intervals?

5. OneBlueFire thread starter macrumors member

OneBlueFire

I was actually hoping that somebody would answer my last few questions... :(

6. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

4GB ram will be more than enough for everything you described. 90% of the new 2.8 uMBP is the same as your machine, so i will say save the cash. If you really want to upgrade, put an SSD in your machine- something the new uMBP can not do lol.

7. anamznazn macrumors regular

anamznazn

I was in the same boat as you and I finally talked myself out of getting a new one. I only real beneficial difference would be an extra hour or two of battery life. I could live without that. Besides, I always have my power cord with me anyways.