Upgrade to 3.1 or stay with 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benna, Sep 10, 2009.

1. benna macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I just brought a new iPhone 3GS. After browsing through the forums, i found various threads with bugs in the 3.1. What do you people think, should i stay with 3.0 until someone figures out whats really happening with 3.1?

Benna

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If you're jailbroken or use tethering, stay put with what you've got.

I can think of no other reason to not upgrade to 3.1.

3. nfl46 macrumors 604

What's bugs in 3.1 do you speak of? Maybe the betas had bugs, but not the final version.

4. Kobra macrumors regular

Kobra

I upgrade last night (local time) as soon as they made it available. Haven't noticed any problems yet :) I absolutely love the new Genius Mix feature :D The 3.1 upgrade actually solved a issue for me with a app that had the wrong icon shown. So all in all, it was a good upgrade ;)

5. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Any OS has bugs. OS 3.0 was no exception. OS 3.1 sure has its share of bugs, but it's got a lot of bugs originally in 3.0 fixed as well.

With a brand-new 3G S, I see no reason to stay with 3.0.

6. Zimmy68 macrumors 68000

Zimmy68

Nothing new added, nothing taken away.
    No reason to or not to update.

When they opened the "event" with that bit of news, it was an ominous sign of the suckitude to come.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

None of those are bugs in the sense of "I shouldn't upgrade because x will happen to me." They fall in the category of "sometimes upgrades f#@$ up."

It can happen with any software upgrade. If something goes wrong you format and upgrade again.

8. benna thread starter macrumors regular

well, i get that but, those major bugs like bricking the phone and having ended up with an unresponsive phone or something like that?:confused:

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

And I'll add that these are forums. You're always going to see some issues, but that doesn't mean they're going to be an issue for you. For me, 3.1 doesn't seem any different than 3.0, except for the minor new capabilities, and the additional enhancements thru iTunes (like app management).

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My point is, a REAL bug is something that would affect a large number of users. For example, the Safari 4 Beta a few months back broke the google maps inside of iPhoto for everyone. THAT's a bug.

You're looking at bad things that happened to 0.00001% of iPhone users.

That's clearly just the kind of risk you always take by doing anything. I wouldn't let that stop me.

EDIT: Here's how you can be sure: If there was a REAL problem there would be an article on the front of MacRumors about it. Trust me, they're good at that kind of thing. Forum posts simply mean that some people have bad luck. That's true for anything.