Upgrade to 3.1 software then back up issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sharrie, Nov 24, 2009.

1. sharrie macrumors newbie

I hope someone can help....

When I plug in my phone to my PC I click on 'yes' to upgrade the software to 3.1. I've downloaded the latest version of iTunes and the upgrade seems to install OK but then I get 'backing up "phone name"' and this takes forever. I left it for 12 hours one night and it still had only reached half way on the progress bar.

I only have 3 applications installed on my phone.....can someone please help or give me a number to contact Apple - the number seems to be hidden on their site!

Thanks in anticipation

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You phone should have been backed up before. BTW you should be updating to 3.1.2 in iTunes not 3.1. And if it is sitting forever at "backing up" just click on the x, and continue. Updating the phone isn't going to erase anything, so you should be fine.

3. sharrie thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, i meant 3.1.2

thanks, i'll give it another go.

4. sharrie thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried again, i've clicked on 'install' to get the 3.1.2 update, it then gives me a box saying 'backing up xxxxxxx' but there is no option to 'x' (close) the box and I have to unplug my phone which then brings up a message to say 'back up not successful because my phone was disconnected'.

Any other advice??

5. MasterDev macrumors 65816

You sure there is no X like the one at the far right in this picture?

Screen shot 2009-11-24 at 3.26.37 PM.png

6. sharrie thread starter macrumors newbie

No, there is nothing happening in this box, it's a pop up box with no option to close and just says 'backing up xxxxxx' with the green progress bar.