Upgrade to 3G and use 1st Gen iPhone as development device?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by psingh01, Aug 19, 2008.

1. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Who here has upgraded to 3G and kept their 1st Gen iPhone for use as a development device?

Any problems you've run into? Problems activating it? Tips or advice you can give...I assume it is still usable as an iPod Touch type device. I want to develop some networked apps and would like to test on real devices instead of just the simulator.

2. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

I develop on my 1st Gen device that I use as my main phone.
    There's no need to upgrade and have to pay an extra $15/month.

3. psingh01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I already use my 1st gen iPhone to develop, but it lacks gps which I'd like to play around with. I have some ideas for apps. I am also unwilling to use the 2.1 beta firmware on it as long as it's my primary phone.

4. Mac Me Up macrumors regular

I use my 1st Gen for dev as well, and I too use it as my main phone. I'm on 2.0.2 and haven't had any problems yet. Not game to go to 2.1 though.

5. grimjim macrumors member

I use my original iPhone as my development machine. I just stuck an O2 PAYG SIM in it. I don't get any GSM data, but it still works as a phone and, of course, it still works with Wi-Fi. I had no problems at all - I just stuck in a new SIM and plugged it in to iTunes, and off it went.

6. psingh01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Do I need a new SIM to use it as a development device or is it just to continue making calls? Could I get by with the original SIM?

I wouldn't care to make calls with it, but I'd hate to buy a 3G then find out I need to spend more money just to develop on the 1st Gen :)

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

SIM cards are free :). o2 literally give them away on their website.

8. grimjim macrumors member

Yeah, they gave me a pack of five for nowt!

The only real problem is that the SIM doesn't support GPRS data, so I can only get a data connection by means of WiFi. But it works for voice, and I feel happier to be able to load untried firmware on a device that isn't my main phone.