upgrade to 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikeydooodie, Aug 28, 2008.

1. mikeydooodie macrumors member

was just at apple store getting my girls phone fixed aka getting a new one lol and while i was waiting called att to see if im available for the upgrade and they said yes .. is it worth doing this? i came home to see how much the originals are going for on ebay unlocked since ill unlock the old one to make it more sellable and they seem to be going anywhere from 2-300 which means ill be breaking even and in the best case making money ... i came home and now i want to go back and get it or is it just a waste?

plus they seem to have made the old one obsolete accessories wise i wanted a new clear thing to put over the screen and they didnt even have any .. the 3g phones have 9 racks of **** the old phones got like half a rack in the back

2. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Consider its features

Well first of all, accessories are still available and indeed being made for the original. For example, the new pogo stylus thing comes with two clips - one fitted for the 3G and the other fitted for the original. The Apple store has a crap selection of iPhone accessories anyways, especially when it comes to screen covers! Search online for screen covers, notably iQase, bodyguardz and invisible shield.

You have to weigh the options of upgrading. The data plan costs $15 more per month for the same functionality (except 3G v. EDGE of course). Also if you upgrade now, you will not be eligible for subsidized prices when the next iPhone model is released next July. I figure that that phone will have more hardware upgrades over the 3G than the 3G does over the original, such as better camera, more memory, RAM, better processor, video capabilites - perhaps even another physical button for stuff like activating voice-command or taking pictures. To me the 3G is not enough of an improvement to justify buying it, but make your own call.

3. mikeydooodie thread starter macrumors member

i know but the white one is just soo nice lol itll cost me like 20$ more for 2 phone that i got now i dunno im stuck between a rock and a hard place if i can sell my old ones at a reasonable price then it wouldnt be like im spending any money .. plus she just got a 'brand new' refurbished one today since one of her pixels died but that white one caught our eyes

4. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

If you like it, get it. I have a black 16GB and love it.

Using Eso's logic (no offense here Eso) you will never get an upgrade because there is always going to be another upgrade that is going to be released in the future. So you just keeping putting off and putting off.

If it were me, I would get it while the getting is good. The value of your 1st gen is only going to continue to go down (unlocked 1st gens have already dropped to less than 1/2 their value of 45 days ago). But it's your call.

5. mikeydooodie thread starter macrumors member

you upgraded from the original? is the speed that much of a difference?

6. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

I did not upgrade but I have used the original. I myself did hold off on getting the 1st gen because I didn't want to be a guinea pig for a company making it's first cell phone ever and I wanted 3G. I figured by the time they got around to making the 3G a lot of the kinks would be worked out.

It turns out I was still a guinea pig but I feel like a very lucky guinea pig. I purchased iPhones for 12 people in my office (office paid of course) and I have not had any device related complaints (knock on wood). I find the speed to be great and overall love the phone.

Does that mean it's perfect? No. But I don't expect perfection (even if I had paid for it myself I wouldn't expect it). It is better than any other cell phone I have had and I have had my fair share (average of over 1 a year for 15 years).

There are still some kinks and service in some areas seems to be sketchy. But I am sure Apple and AT&T will work those kinks out. The only thing that has upset me has been the inability to tether. I don't use it often but when I need it, I want it. I got lucky and got netshare when it was out, so I am over that.

7. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I hope that you are correct about the value of the originals going down because I am in the market for a 16g, but I have a definite price point in mind.

I concur, however, with your statement pertaining to holding out for the "next best thing". I held out for 3G, only to end up purchasing EDGE phone because the next best thing came wrapped in, IMHO, a horrendous plastic case:D.

If you want one, buy it; you may be one of the lucky ones not to have any of the issues others have reported here.

Jude

8. mikeydooodie thread starter macrumors member

I just sold my original on ebay for 250 within 2 minutes of listing, i took a 50 dollar hit on the 16g so basically i paid 50 bux for the 16gb not bad huh?

if you list it at a decent buy it now on ebay itll get sucked right up im guessing dont get greedy, just listed my girlfriends phone she wants to make money so listed it for 350 and no one bit yet mine went in under a minute honestly

9. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Just make sure it is a legit buyer or you will have wasted your time. There have been some horror stories of people having to continually repost their items because of problems.

10. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I am in the market as a buyer, not a seller:D. I am willing to pay around $250 for a 3G, $100 more than I paid for the 8g, but that was brand new.

I am patient, and refuse to overpay for the 16g.

Jude

11. mikeydooodie thread starter macrumors member

i got my payment sent through paypal and its on hold until i print out a shipping label or something im new to selling but the money is in my account and i guess will be released once i print out a shipping label? no printer at home when i get to work tomorrow im going to try this

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I had an 8GB original iPhone and upgraded to a 16GB 3G. If I had had the 16GB original iPhone, I doubt I would have upgraded. I did it mainly for the storage space. The 3G cellular download speed is nice, but its a real battery hog (obviously, battery life on EDGE is much, much better). My original iPhone (my daughter uses it now) went forever on a charge.

13. mikeydooodie thread starter macrumors member

im goin to get my 16gb tomorrow ... how can i wipe clean my old one before i sell it to this person?

14. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

>Settings > network > reset > erase all content and settings.

I think that's right.

15. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

If you got that than you clearly don't recognize logic.

My point wasn't to wait for the sake that there will be a future, upgraded model. My point was that the 3G has very few upgrades compared to the first gen, and the combined factors of the price of the device, price of the plan, broader spectrum of upgrades in the next model, and the loss of subsidized pricing on that model don't justify the upgrade, in my opinion.

By not upgrading, you save $15/month for a year, $200 for the device, and equivalent of $380. Factor in the AT$T subsidy and that comes to $580. If you decide to upgrade and "break even" so to speak, if you want to upgrade again you'll be paying that $580 out of your pocket.

16. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

I got your logic. I'm not criticizing you. My point to the OP was that this is a personal decision about whether they want THIS version. You clearly do not. That is fine. I can respect that.

Some of the things you are hoping for in the next version are just that, hopes. IMHO the only guarantee on the next version is increased storage capacity. If there were more definites about what features the next gen iPhone will have I would be saying something different. Since at this point everything is just speculation a person should decide whether they want this version based on its attributes and not based on speculation about what a future version may or may not have.

But that's just my opinion.

17. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I upgraded a week ago and i am happy i did. I had a 16g original and got a black 16g 3g. 3g in my town is great.

18. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Very true, but it's reasonable to expect more than a simple memory upgrade - that'd still just be a 3G. There is nothing wrong with speculation, as long as it is educated. After all, the world works around trying to predict and plan for the future, be it starting a business, marriage, saving for education, insurance, retirement, etc. For example, one may invest in a business because they speculate that it will succeed, but a wise investor will have a good degree of confidence in the company which may come from research about the company, foresight about the usefulness of the product, etc.

The very minimum to expect is an improved camera. The camera quality was criticized on the original on the basis that it was substandard to other smartphone cameras on the market. That is even more true when the 3G was released with the same camera. There is no chance that Apple will release the next model with the same camera if they want the phone to be a success, not to mention by that time it will be the same technology of their two year old phone.

Hardware improvements in processors and RAM are just taken for granted these days, but it will be even more important in the iPhone with all the apps available and those that will be coming. If the iPhone was considered more as a mobile computer than a mobile phone, it will only become more apparent as apps are released. Many apps even now have a problem with running out of memory when they run, lagging all the functions of the phone. Hopefully more efficient software development will improve things, but the amount of RAM is still a hardware limiting factor, and to really keep up with 3rd party app development, the iPhone is going to need more.

And finally, what else is there to improve that you can't get through software revamps? It's not like the 4G network is going to be ready, and it already has GPS. More internal memory is just a given.

It may be speculation, but really it is the next logical step for the iPhone that I don't mind betting $580 on.