upgrade to 3gs without activating it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sawtooth420, Jul 20, 2009.

1. sawtooth420 macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I'm a proud owner of an iphone 2G and i want to keep it until works.
    Btw i want to buy a 3gs for my brother with my upgrade option, although he won't activate it with at&t.
    So, can i go in an at&t store, ask for the upgrade and take the 3gs home without activating it? They may change my actual plan as for a 3gs anyway?
    I'm doing a favour but i don't want to increase my bills :)
    Thank you very much for any info!

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

They will probably change your plans, but you can change them back through the AT&T My Account. If that doesn't work, try calling them and telling them you broke your new iPhone and want to go back to your old iPhone's plan.

3. sawtooth420 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the fast reply, i'll try that as soon as black 3gs arrive in the store :)

4. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

No you will have to activate in-store before you leave the AT&T store. You will also have a new two-year service commitment and you will have used your handset upgrade. You really are a good brother!

You just complete the new activation, pay the $18 upgrade fee and go home an swap the new SIM into your original iPhone and re-add the original $20 iPhone data plan using iTunes or by call Customer Care. If you have unlocked your original iPhone you will not have to pair the new SIM with your original iPhone in iTunes. If you have an AT&T locked phone, you will have to connect your original iPhone to iTunes and pair the new SIM with your iPhone.

Dave

5. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

They will change the data plan as part of the new activation. You do not need to lie to Customer Care if you still have the original iPhone and you plan to continue to use it.

The iPhone data plan is based on the phone you are using, so if you want to use your original iPhone, just call Customer Care and provide the IMEI of your original iPhone and ask to have the $20 iPhone Data plan put back on your line.

Dave