Upgrade to 4.2 + jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Raishi, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Raishi macrumors member

Alright... I've posted about upgrading and jail breaking before however I never really got an answer on the process... but I'm under the impression from what people said that I can't actually screw up my iPhone so I'm just gonna wing it.

however I've been out of the loop for a while and I can't get a clear answer on a 4.2 jail break method since I have no idea what is fake and what is real.

So guys what are my options?

(Useful info people may ask for)
    -Iphone 3GS 16gb
    -Cydia
    -Installous
    -SBSettings
    -Windows Vista: Home Premium 64-bit

2. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

3. Raishi thread starter macrumors member

I don't understand what it means by "boot it into a “jailbroken state” on every reboot." can you or someone else elaborate?

and from the sounds of it I got a give up my lock screen... I'm not sure if I want to =(

any other methods?

-------------------------------

on an off note I'd have no problems using the standard unjailborken version...
    but I'm gonna miss stuff like SB Settings =(... this is a stupid question and I already know the answer, but I ask for any slight bit of hope xD:

If I remove my jailbreak and update will I keep any of the apps or features?

4. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Tethered means that every time you REBOOT your phone you must use redsn0w to get it to start properly. Otherwise it will just hang.
    You can respring any time you want, but a reboot requires you to be tethered to your PC and use redsn0w.

You should consider carefully whether this will be OK for you. It is generally OK unless you run out of power and can only recharge away from your PC. Then you wont be able to restart your phone until you can also run redsn0w...
    For some people this is OK and for some it is a dealbreaker.

It is likely an untethered 4.2.1 jailbreak will be released soon, but nobody knows when for sure (a beta version is available but has bluetooth disabled and a few other bugs which are being worked through).

Hope that helps.

5. Raishi thread starter macrumors member

got a name or link for that beta? maybe some of the disabled stuff I don't use much anyways... but tethered sounds annoying.

6. Barneygumble47 macrumors regular

I have a 3gs with an untethered jailbreak but it has an older bootrom the newer one is a tethered jailbreak.

Use google to find out which version you have you might be lucky and getbuntethered.

7. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

according to this site, http://jailbreakmatrix.com/iPhone-iTouch-Jailbreak ,
    the 3gs depending on what bootloader you have may not be tethered.
    I do not know how to see what bootloader you have tho.

If i were you, if you have your shsh's on file with cydia, i would upgrade to 4.1 and then jailbreak with limerain or greenpoison.

just a thought

8. Barneygumble47 macrumors regular

This is what I used to find out which version I had they may be a different way I only know this one.

how to find out the bootrom version?
    Hello guys, i found lots of users worried about finding the BootRom version of their iphones. Here is a solution.

To check iPhone 3G/3GS bootrom version:

Put your iphone in DFU mode.
    (Connect your iPhone to iTunes, turn off, click power+home button for 10 seconds, leave POWER button after 10 seconds, holding HOME button)

iTunes will detect your iPhone in recovery mode.

Go To:

Start->Control Panel->Device Manager

In Universal Serial BUS Controller, you will find Apple Mobile Device USB Driver

Right Click and go to Properties, go to Details tab and select "Device Instance Path" from the drop down list box.

In that information, u will find [iBoot-359.x] at the end.

Thanks & Regards
    a_atish007

9. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Can anyone answer this for me

Can you respring ok with the Redsnow jb?
    is it just a reboot that you need to run the Jsilbreak again

10. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Yes, I already said that in the last post...

11. Raishi, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

Raishi thread starter macrumors member

I'm not quite sure but is 4.2 the one we've been talking about: 4.2.1?

if so couldn't I just use redsn0w 0.9.6b6? because apparently this is untethered can anyone confirm?

or is that earlier than I am thinking? (I really don't know how the versions work I'm soo nubby xD)

at the end of today I am going to restore my iPhone and re-sync I can live a few weeks without jailbreak (unless... God forbid, Navigon releases a new update to fix crashes from the old one that I was unaware of and got me lost while driving... but joking aside)

I figure I can just have an un-JB iPhone until a easy untethered version comes out.
    if anyone knows why this would be a bad idea please let me know.

12. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

iDetector tells you for sure on the boot rom, I don't know what the actual number is but if it says old than yes you can have untethered JB righht now with redsnow just like I am doing.

13. Raishi thread starter macrumors member

Just did MaxBurn Thank you for that.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depends how you look at it) "My Iphone 3G contains the NEW bootrom"