Upgrade to 4G iPhone through family plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gri, May 14, 2010.

1. gri macrumors 6502a

gri

It seems that the new (4G) iPhone according to the leaked prototypes has a micro SIM card. So the usual upgrade plan for many (wife has a free upgrade, gets the new phone, which is swapped with the spouses current iPhone) does not work as the physical format of the cards is different.

Any idea if AT&T can transfer the sim and change the phone numbers so that this is working again . Is this why Apple is doing this? While there is an adapter from micro to normal sim one has to physically cut the normal sim card down (gulp). Don't want to know what AT&T is saying if you go to them and say the card doesn't work since it was cut down...

2. neilp4453 macrumors regular

At&t doesn't force users to use a smart phone even if they upgraded to one. They are allowed to downgrade to a regular phone and get rid of the data plan.

With that in mind, I'm sure At&t will people obtain the new sim cards or old sim cards to accommodate their particular phone. But don't they charge users to replace to obtain a new sim? This is the only thing you would probably have to worry about.

3. mizvalorie macrumors member

No.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Technically they CAN charge you. That said, I've replaced my SIM twice and each time the AT&T employee didn't charge me. So I think they have a lot of latitude there and can decide to not charge you.

5. gri thread starter macrumors 6502a

gri

So, I can basically ask ATT to exchange my regular SIM agains a micro and my wifes for a regular? No questions asked as I am basically free to use the phone I want? That would work than. How long does it take to get the other SIM - I don't want her to get too used to the new iPhone... :D

6. nutmac macrumors 68040

First off, the upgrade isn't really free. AT&T has this little thing called "$18 upgrade fee" that will more than cover the cost of new microSIM card.

The new iPhone will come with the SIM/microSIM card, just like previous iPhone models and iPad 3G. During the setup process, your number will be transferred to the new SIM card.

7. gri thread starter macrumors 6502a

gri

But it would be first my wife's number, than I need to get a new sim for my number and one for her and swap the phones with her...

8. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Just tell AT&T to use your wifes upgrade to upgrade your phone

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Doesn't matter what line is used to get the upgrade, the phone can be activated on any line you wish. AT&T only cares that they got you on the hook for 2 more years.

10. UnknownMacNoob macrumors member

this