Upgrade to 4gb ram on late 2008 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Christian G, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Christian G macrumors newbie

Hey, I have a late 2008 MBP and I wanted to install 4 gigs of RAM. I found a bunch of compatible sticks, but any suggestions as to what's known well to work? Thanks!

2. mitchellh macrumors newbie

I've bought RAM for all my macs since 2006 at otherworldcomputing.com. They have very low prices and I've never had any problems with their stuff. Unfortunately I don't have anyone to really compare them too since I've been with them the whole time.

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

It's always a good idea to go with memory that's guaranteed compatible with Macs. It takes a lot of the guesswork out of whether or not a generic module will play nice in your MBP. These vendors all offer lifetime warranties and have great service (I've purchased from all three):

1. Crucial
    2. Other World Computing
    3. Trans Int'l

Whichever route you take, 4GB (2x2GB) kits are pretty cheap. If you decide to go beyond 4GB, you have to use at least one 4GB module and those are quite a bit more expensive.

4. Christian G thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but I forgot to mention one thing, haha. I'm making an order from Newegg, so if anybody knows of anything on there that will do the trick, that would be optimal.

Thanks!

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Is there a specific reason you need to order from Newegg?

Late 2008/Early 2009 MBPs use DDR3 SO-DIMMs. A search list of all compatible 4GB module kits. Take your pick. Kingston, Mushkin, Corsair and OCZ all make quality products in my experience. I don't have any experience with the other brands listed, however.