Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

posnera

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
I've got a MBP C2D 2.4ghz, NVIDIA 9600M GT with 2gb ram.

Will upgrading to 4gb have any impact on gaming performance?

Lurch.

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2010
OSX or Doze?
If Doze, 32bit or 64bit ver?
32bit OS cannot address over 3.something Gb RAM properly, so the benefits will be nice, but minimal.

In saying that tho... more ram is always better than less ram :D

posnera

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
OSX or Doze?
If Doze, 32bit or 64bit ver?
32bit OS cannot address over 3.something Gb RAM properly, so the benefits will be nice, but minimal.

In saying that tho... more ram is always better than less ram :D

OSX SL 10.6.4

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Most games are still 32-bit thus they cannot address more than 3.3GB of RAM. More RAM increase overall performance so I would get more. Not because of gaming but because of other apps

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Most games are still 32-bit thus they cannot address more than 3.3GB of RAM. More RAM increase overall performance so I would get more. Not because of gaming but because of other apps

I agree with the point on RAM being useful for everything and I think 4GB is the sweet spot for 10.6 on a performance / price point of view.

I have to say the biggest speed boost I have got in OS performance and usability was getting an SSD HD it was like getting a new computer, spinning beach balls are now very very rare and the entire machine felt snappy.

On a laptop (I have a 9400/9600 MBP) the speed up is even more noticeable as the stock laptop HD's are pretty slow.

Edwin

thekielbasakid

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
My 4gb Experience

Finally, something I can chime in about!

I have a 2.0Ghz MacBook with NVIDIA graphics, and it came with 2gb of stock RAM. When I upgraded to 4gb with a higher clock speed, it was a whole new world. There were occasional stutters before when there were a lot of tabs open, but not now. The "beach ball" practically never happens, and Portal runs a whole lot smoother! The frame rate hasn't hiccupped yet. Best investment for a Mac laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.