Upgrade to 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wantdaphone, Oct 23, 2011.

1. wantdaphone macrumors newbie

I currently have the Iphone 4 and can upgrade to 4S in mid November. I would like to give my Iphone 4 to my sister and add her on to my plan with AT&T (I am in the process of seeing if Verizon or Sprint would be a better option). I have unlimited data and don't want to lose that. Does any one know what my options would be? My sister is using an unlocked Iphone 3GS with a go-phone plan and hates having to always add money to the plan. She would share the cost of the plan and would like to share my data plan, since I have never really used a lot of it in a month's time. Also, if I upgrade to the 4S, what will happen if Apple releases the Iphone 5 before the contract is up? I know I can call AT&T to see what they say but I also know how dumb they can be. Thanks for any help.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

In no particular order:
    • No data plan sharing with AT&T, even on family plans the data is specific to the line. Unlimited messaging *is* shared on family plans, and the version including unlimited mobile to any mobile is nice.
    • If you upgrade your line, you shouldn't lose your unlimited data (I didn't)
    • If you do an upgrade now, it's likely your eligibility for a full discount will be 18-20 months from now. After six months from now you would typically qualify for an early upgrade, which is $250 more than the full-discount price. You are always able to buy a new phone at the no-commitment (full) price.
    • Will AT&T and Apple bump people's upgrade dates? Who knows. They didn't this round.