Upgrade to 5.1 or 5.0.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Twister86, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Twister86 macrumors newbie

Hello ,

I Have OS 4.1 right now, and I was wondering if I upgraded my phone to 5.0.1 or 5.1 will I lose anything on it?

Like my contacts, or my apps, or any other saved files like sms, pictures, music, apps, app data, save data in apps etc.

A friend updated from 4.x to 5.x and lost all Apps , I also googled that you will lose all your contacts if you upgrade from 4.x to 5.x is that true?

Example: My friend had the app Zombie Life and was level 6 in 4.x , after updating all apps was gone and after reinstalling them he was level 1 again and had to start over, with all apps.

2. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

3. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

back up like matbook101 said. I had no issues updating and all my contacts were fine.

4. Twister86 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Plug it into your computer. Your device will show up in iTunes on the left side. Right click it and choose "back up". Let it backup then you can update. You can't update to 5.0.1 because Apple has stopped signing that so 5.1 is your only choice and there's nothing wrong with 5.1 (unless you want to jailbreak then it'll have to be a tethered or semi-tethered jailbreak for 5.1)

6. Twister86 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have done that. The backup i mean

Wait, so you're saying even if i didn't want to jail break , there is no way to get 5.0.1 now? even if i wanted to be legit and just have the ios 5.0.1 on my phone?

what is the difference between 5.1 and 5.0.1 really?

7. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah there's no way to do it now. You can only update to 5.1. Why do you even want 5.0.1?

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1504

Screen Shot 2012-04-12 at 20.28.59.png

8. Twister86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Because if I possibly want to jail break it in the future.

Well redsn0w does have something called fetch blobs, is it possible to get it through that?

And also, my mom got a iphone 4s with iOS 5.0.1 , isn't it possible to copy the "iOS" that she use and put it into mine?

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

You can jailbreak 5.1 but it's a tethered jailbreak meaning everytime you reboot you have to plug it into your computer.

You can't fetch blobs if you haven't already saved them and since you're not on 5.0.1 already then you don't have them saved (this is assuming you weren't on 5.0.1 previously then went back to 4.1)

No you can't use your mothers blobs you have to use the ones from your own device.

10. Twister86 thread starter macrumors newbie

So saying if I got a tethered jailbreak with 5.1 , and then i decide to go on a vacation, away for a while, and my battery dies, and i plug in the phone to the jack in the wall to recharge it, it cant start because i dont have my computer with me? (which is not a laptop)

So having my mom's iphone 4 with 5.0.1 doesn't give me any advantage at all of having 5.0.1 to my phone ?

(Extract the ios, save the ios, save blobs or anything?)

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Here's a link explaining the differences http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/1...tethered-jailbreak-vs-semitethered-jailbreak/

Yeah you can't use your mother blobs or the blobs from any other phone but yours.

12. Twister86 thread starter macrumors newbie

What iOS do you get today when you buy a new iPhone from the retail store?

It's 5.0.1 right?

My mom bought her phone just some month ago and she got 5.0.1 on it. (iphone 4s white 16gb)

I will read the differences.. :)

Will there be any jailbreak in the future for iphone 4 with 5.1 that is untethered?

13. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Depends on where you buy it but yes you might still find some places selling iPhones with 5.0.1 installed but there's no guarantee.

I can't really say when or if they will but they probably will. They don't like giving an ETA so we'll just have to wait and see.

14. Twister86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Let's hope that by that time that Apple havn't released yet another new iOS, so you can't upgrade to 5.1 anymore either.

I've checked out your link, i don't want a tethered jailbreak, Then i prefer go standard.

So is it impossible for me to get 5.0.1 now (jailbreak or not) unless I buy a new complete iphone in a retail shop that sells a device with 5.0.1 ?

15. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

No sorry no possible way. Even in stores you might get 5.1.

16. Twister86 thread starter macrumors newbie

You can always ask in the store what device version you will get. I did that when I bought my last iphone and they opened up the package and showed me. For you can as a customer, request your needs afterall. Atleast here where i live.

17. ERIC273 macrumors 6502

I would just do the full upgrade unless you're really so dependent on the JB that you cannot wait a bit!

18. Twister86 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will only use the free sms on the 5.x.x versions I think...