Upgrade to 7200rpm HDD worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shoulin333, Aug 29, 2007.

1. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Hello all, i have a 15" 2.4ghz SR MBP, i love the way everything runs no probs with this thing at all (crosses fingers)...

... i was just wondering if upgrading to the Hatachi 200GB 7200rpm from the 160gb 5400rpm that i have now would i see a big enough improvemnt in loading of apps?

seems that programs load up a bit slow considering the speed of the processor... but perhaps im thinking because im use to useing a PC desktop with 7200rpm drives...

also to those that have done it.. how has this altered your battery life, as a lot of the time i use the laptop will be in lectures and want to stay unplugged as log as possible..

thanks in advance guys :)

2. tardinha macrumors member

i put a seagate 7200.2 160gb momentus drive in last weekend, and it is noticeably faster. battery life seems about the same, and there's no extra heat.

a kind of odd sidenote though. i cloned the original 5400 drive onto the 7200 drive, and installed it. it worked fine, but booting seemed to take forever. especially the part from turning on, so the blue screen. so, i reinstalled OS X and now it boots in about 1/4 of the time.

so, all in all, i'm happy :)

3. ///alpinepower macrumors member

i ordered 4 new macbook pros (2.2); two had the 7200 seagate and they boot noticably faster.:apple:

4. mac000 macrumors 6502a

no worth it, just keep what you have.

buy an external if it makes you happy having a 7200

5. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

It also depends what you want to do. loading apps will be faster. If it worth the premium then go for it. :D

6. shoulin333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ya... i mostly want to for faster loading of games under windows with bootcamp... and Adobe suits in osx

this laptop is my main computer as i sold my desktop pc, so i need it for games ( TF2 and StartCraft 2 when they come out)... so it seems since i dont want to have an external it seems that i will be buying one then...

anyways, thanks for the info .. i will post my comments on the install in this tread when i get it in :)

..... awesome response with no rhyme or reason, thank you sooo much for your input :p

7. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

But buying an external would be bottlenecked by the USB/FW connection, yes...?

8. tejota1911 macrumors 6502

For me it was definitely worth it. I upgraded me 120GB 5400RPM drive to the Seagate 160GB 7200RPM drive, and there was a noticeable performance increase without any negative side affects.

9. BrittQ macrumors regular

Not if he gets an external SATA and connects it via the expresscard34.