Upgrade to 8-Core?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Maui Mike, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Maui Mike macrumors newbie

SO I really want the 8-core but can't afford the extra $$$ at the moment. I am considering "pulling the trigger" on a 2.66Ghz Dual-Core MacPro, but wanted to ask if anyone has successfully upgraded their processors from dual-core to quad-core?

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

You can do it. Anandtech did it. But kiss your warranty goodbye. Which is why I am reluctant to do it myself when I get one.

3 yrs down the line... maybe. I mean, I can fix most things but I can't fix a motherboard and the power supply isn't really standard. Those are two things I would be concerned with if I didn't have a warranty.

If you can wait, do so. Since there may be updates ina few months. PRice drops on chips are coming as well, so we could see an all eight-core lineup. Although I am beginning to question the likelihood of that.

3. psingh01 macrumors 65816

yes, I believe arstechnica had an article back in november about them swapping the stock cpu's with quad cores. it can be done, but may not be cost effective.

4. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

had that story bookmarked... HERE and also plan to move from 4 to 8 when warranty and cost are no longer an issue. :)

5. Maui Mike thread starter macrumors newbie

Fsb

Thanks for the link!

My next question is, could there be a conflict with the FSB going from dual-core to quad? I'd be a shame to upgrade only to find the mobo isn't letting the cpu run at full speed.

I think I need some specs on the Mac Pro's mobo.....

6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

The bus speed is the same.

Wait until after August/September, when the prices are to be slashed immensely by Intel for the processors.

I bet if you did a good job on swapping the processors, they'd never notice. Just swap 'em back when you take it in for service. :D