Upgrade to 8GB RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kentochan, May 29, 2011.

1. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

Hey guys, I was thinking about upgrading the RAM on my base 2011 13" MacBook Pro from 4GB to 8GB. For those who have the upgrade, how's the performance? Is it worth the $80~$100? Can I sell my 4GB RAM to someplace? Any other worthwhile upgrades for about $100? Personally, I use my MBP for light gaming, iLife, iWork, Win 7 via Boot Camp, C++ and Java programming, Safari etc. And from doing those tasks, I can occasionally see a need in RAM with iStat Pro. Any input is appreciated :D

2. xdbuix macrumors 6502

I recently upgraded my 15" 2011 from 4gb to 8gb. For me the $83 price is well worth it. I notice the faster bootups. My starcraft 2 was much more reliable with less hiccups and random freezing. Safari, chrome, and my other applications boot up faster. Everything just faster. I would keep the 4gb ram just in case for the future. You can probably get around $20 to $30 for it anyways.

3. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

go for it, you won't be sorry, I'm running 8gb in my MBP and 12gb in my IMac.

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

i've got 8. i never had 4, so i can't compare. i am pleased with the performance. at least once a day or so i end up needing the extra ram. i didn't "need" it. however, i am sure glad i have it.

5. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I went from 4 to 8 and it was WELL WORTH IT! Makes my Final Cut suite run as smooth as butter.

Plus, if you want to run a virtual machine - 8gb of ram is the way to go!

6. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

RAMDisks are also much much faster then even the fastest of SSDs. I personally dont "need" 8GB but I will definitely make use of it when i get my 8GB modules. 4GB RAM Disks are fun!