Resolved Upgrade to a 6 or get an Apple TV 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dilap, Sep 17, 2015.

1. dilap macrumors 6502a

I am currently on a 5s, which I feel is getting a little to old for me, but I do also like the Apple TV. They would both cost me the same because of the value of my current phone, so price doesn't matter.

2. maflynn, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Which do you want?

Kind of an odd paradox you're facing. If it were me, I'd go for the phone but then TV was never a huge thing for me.

3. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Put the money in the bank and figure out which one you actually "need". Sounds like you don't really "need" either.

4. dilap thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'm leaning towards the 6, but since I'd have to wait till October to get it (buying from USA), I'll have a chance to think about it, and hopefully see a review of the TV.

5. dilap thread starter macrumors 6502a

As I said, I would have to wait until October, and decide then.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When October rolls around (which isn't all that far at this stage) see which way you're leaning. Plus you'll have the advantage of reading reviews of both products to help make a more informed decision.

7. dilap thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you!

8. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

You decide, how are we supposed to decide this for you? If you can't decide then it doesn't really sound like you need either.

9. dilap thread starter macrumors 6502a

What I meant was so obvious pros or cons about each device, but I couldn't find anything that bad. I just wanted to hear people's opinions and reasoning.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The problem is the two devices are completely independent entities so it's pretty much impossible to compare them unless you go down the lines of ....

Apple TV 4 - Not very portable. Has a really poor battery. Requires additional peripherals like a screen. Really bad cell reception on it. Onscreen keyboard is not very touch sensitive. Really poor camera.

At the end of the day, one is a TV set top box - the other is a phone. They are meant to compliment each other - not be a direct competitors.

Essentially do you want a TV box or a new phone ? That's essentially the only question you need to answer.

11. dilap thread starter macrumors 6502a

But we don't know much about the TV, which is why I will take maflynn's advice.

12. jamespa66 macrumors 6502

Go for broke get both! I have a 6+ and a 6S+ on order and Apple TV 3 will be getting the 4 when it's released. They compliment each other very nicely!

13. dilap thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha! Well there's always Christmas!

14. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

No offense, but if you're in a situation where you need to deeply contemplate the spending of $150 then maybe you should be saving your money for a more important things. Fancy phone upgrades and overpriced streaming boxes aren't necessities, they're luxuries for those who can afford it.

Apple is very good at what they do, but one of the things they do best is charge more money for products that do the same thing as much cheaper competitors.

15. dilap thread starter macrumors 6502a

None taken! It would be a birthday present, I'm only 13!