Upgrade to a GTX285?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ikyo, Apr 2, 2010.

  1. Ikyo macrumors 6502

    Ikyo

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    #1
    I currently have a 4890 in my Mac Pro now and concerned after the most recent patch with the issues people are having. I know that the new machines are slated for June, but I would rather not hold my breath for some new awesome card to come out. I am sure they will have a newer card, but it will still take time to get the ROM.

    So do you think it is worth upgrading to the GTX285 and selling my 4890? It would also be a lot easier because I wouldn't have to use hacked drivers to use my 120 as a Physx card.
     
  2. Cindori macrumors 68040

    Cindori

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Sweden
    #2
    Paying $449 for a card that is so old that it stopped manufacturing like 6 months ago, doesnt sound right in the head to me. You will gain maybe 10-15% performance over the 4890. Think about how you will feel when in 2 months people are getting a much, much more powerful GPU for lower price.
     
  3. Ikyo thread starter macrumors 6502

    Ikyo

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    #3
    So there is only a 10 to 15% difference between the two? I honestly thought it was a lot more then that. You are probably right in the fact that the new 5xxx card that comes out will probably be around the $400 price point.
     
  4. xgman macrumors 601

    xgman

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2007
    #5
    make sure you install the GTX285 drivers before giving your other card away.
     
  5. Ikyo thread starter macrumors 6502

    Ikyo

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    #6
    Think I am just going to wait when there isn't that much of a difference.
     
  6. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #7
    Only if you're running Leopard.
     

Share This Page