Upgrade to a Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bocat, May 16, 2012.

1. bocat macrumors newbie

I have a 2004 Mac G5 which I love. Unfortunatley I can't upgrade to the lates OS anymore or run a lot of newer programs. So, my neighbor suggested that I upgrade to a Mac Mini. I am looking to see if this would be a suitable upgrade. I was originally looking at a new Imac but I already have a screen, keyboard and mouse. Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you!

2. simsaladimbamba, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

simsaladimbamba

3. flatfoot macrumors 65816

The iMac can be had with faster CPUs than the mini and has a 3.5" HDD, which is faster than the mini's 2.5" HDD. Those two factors, however, won't matter too much in everyday use, so a mini would probably fine.

On the other hand, you could hook up the display you already have to the iMac for a dual display setup.

It's really up to you and your needs.

4. bocat thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I use my current G5 to run basic programs but I also have older versions of Photoshop and Indesign on there. Obviously I would not be able to run them on the mini. But I was thinking of keeping the G5 going so if I needed to run these programs I would be able to.

5. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

Any Mac Mini you get will run rings around the G5. I was amazed at the speed difference when I upgraded.

You can get 7200rpm drives in the mini from Apple, or order your own and put them in yourself if you're handy with computers. For even more speed, order a solid state drive, though that = $$$.

It basically boils down to: What are you going to do with it?

6. KScottMyers macrumors regular

I moved to a 2011 mini from the original 2006 Intel Mac Pro. Best upgrade I ever did.

Suggestion - install a SSD, upgrade the memory to at least 8GB, and you'll be amazed at how fast this little machine can be. Its a great little Mac.

7. bocat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, I think I will order one today!