Upgrade to a new MBP or wait it out?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djanthonyw, May 19, 2010.

  1. djanthonyw macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 17, 2010
    #1
    I have a 2007 MBP. 2.2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 250 HD. It NEVER freezes and runs PERFECT. As far as I'm concerned it's flawless. I would like to upgrade to a new MBP and was planning to but I'm extremely concerned about upgrading now because of the reported freezing issues that I have seen.

    I had two Cinema Displays that I used on my Mac Pro. I sold them as well as my Mac Pro and purchased a 24 inch display with mini display port connection because I was planning on getting the new MBP which has a mini display port connection. My plan has been to consolidate both my first gen Mac Pro and MacBook Pro into a newer MBP.

    So I would like some general opinions on this. Should I get a new MBP now or should I keep my current MBP and order the adapter (which is over $100) to use the new display on my current MBP and wait this freezing issue out?

    I can't risk any of this freezing BS since I use my MBP for live gigs. One of the reasons why I choose Mac is because I haven't had to deal with freezing compared to Windows before and I don't plan to start. So far seeing people with these issues on newer machines has been a real let down.
     
  2. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

    Wehrwolf

    Joined:
    May 21, 2009
    #2
    First, you cannot judge a product by what people post on a tech/resource message board. Folks who have issues are disproportionately going to be posting about problem X or Y; very few people will go out of their way to post about a machine with no issues. You can't judge the health of a population by hanging out in the hospital emergency room.

    That being said, my i7 currently has zero issues. No freezing, no display issues, etc etc. Whether or not you should upgrade is up to you, but I recently consolidated a 2007 MBP + 2006 Mac Pro into a 2010 MBP + 24" ACD and can't be happier. I don't have to keep up with syncing files on a notebook and desktop, and the i7 handles everything I throw at it. When I'm at home I connect to the ACD and run with 2 displays in span mode.

    If you're concerned, hang on to your 2007 MBP for a while as you run a new 2010 MBP through its paces. If a problem does arise, you can have that addressed and still be able to work on your 2007 MBP until any problems are resolved.
     
  3. djanthonyw thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 17, 2010
    #3
    Thanks for the reply, and good to hear, but I think what worries me the most is how people are getting their MBP replaced and are still experiencing issues with the new one.
     

Share This Page