Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gweilo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
I have a 2010 15" 4gbram i5 2.53ghz MacBook Pro base model. Lately it has been having graphics card issues and randomly turning off the the graphics card is working to hard (apparently a known issue) and the software is out of date and some new software is not compatible. I'd love to get a new MacBook Pro but with the exchange rate in my country it makes it not affordable currently.

So I am looking at the newest $999 MacBook Air as a replacement. I usually use the laptop for film scanning, lightroom and occasional use of photoshop and final cut x. I'd have to store the lightroom library and most other files on a external disk due to the small SSD. The new system would of course be more secure and faster but will it be a worth while upgrade and am I expecting to much of this machine if I'm using this software?

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
I have a 2010 15" 4gbram i5 2.53ghz MacBook Pro base model. Lately it has been having graphics card issues and randomly turning off the the graphics card is working to hard (apparently a known issue) and the software is out of date and some new software is not compatible. I'd love to get a new MacBook Pro but with the exchange rate in my country it makes it not affordable currently.

So I am looking at the newest $999 MacBook Air as a replacement. I usually use the laptop for film scanning, lightroom and occasional use of photoshop and final cut x. I'd have to store the lightroom library and most other files on a external disk due to the small SSD. The new system would of course be more secure and faster but will it be a worth while upgrade and am I expecting to much of this machine if I'm using this software?

Talk to an Apple Genius in the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.