Upgrade... to an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by skorada123, Aug 19, 2012.

1. skorada123 macrumors newbie

Here's the story: I have a early-2008 white MacBook that has finally been dropped support by Apple (no longer upgradeable for new OS's). I'm debating whether I should keep my 2008 white MacBook and get a new iPad 3(/mini?) for med school (to annotate lecture slides, e-books, etc.) or forget about the iPad and a get a new 13" MacBook Pro to stay current with OS X and any app compatibilities?

Any advice?

2. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Yes, the same advice that I give everybody who became a victim of Apple's planned obsolescence: Install Windows or Linux on your equipment.

3. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Friend, you need a computer in your home so be smart about this. If you already have another computer, then you can simply have an iPad for taking notes, but I do apreciate a macbook way more

Perhaps a macbook air?

4. skorada123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't particularly bash Windows or Linux (I run both on older computers at home). Windows has been prone to viruses and other small nuisances. Linux is pretty easy to screw up for me and takes a little too much time for me (application support!) to do the things Windows or OS X.

Also, Apple's customer support has been a great experience in the past (easy access to repairs, easy-to-talk-to customer support).

Personally I would prefer an Apple computer with more guts like a MacBook Pro than an Air. My 2008 MacBook still works great but an iPad would be a good addition instead of a replacement.

5. marty1990 macrumors 6502

Go with a MacBook Pro, and an iPad if you can afford it. Or go with a Windows laptop and an iPad. Windows 8 is out in October. Windows is a good OS, I still love it even after my switch to OS X. If you're careful on where you look online, a Windows machine shouldn't get a virus. If you look on questionable sites, and if you have a good anti-virus, such as avast! then a Windows machine shouldn't get a virus.

Definitely get an actual computer though, and an iPad to supplement it.

6. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Do you really need the new OS for how you will be using the Mac? These updates are obviously nice to have, but I don't think they are essential. Also, you might be able to install Windows on your current MacBook (if you want to go that route)and save some money ( not sure about the capability of the white MacBook, but I am sure you can find the answer on this forum).

I agree that a functional computer is more important for most people, but I use my iPad a lot more, so I would try to make the MacBook work before spending money on a new Mac.

7. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

I have been in a similar position and kept my computer. For study I would not want to have an ipad only. And dont underestimate your macbook in times of ssd's. On top of that, the 08' model works wirh 6GB of ram which makes a difference as well. An iPad is for shure a great add on, but it really does not replace a full computer. Better save two month longer or go on an ebay selling spree but keep that MP. And how do you backup with an iPad only? Does the iPad connect to an external display? These are things to consider..

8. darngooddesign, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012

darngooddesign macrumors G3

Why would you stop using your MacBook just because you can't install the latest OS? Snow Leopard works as well on my old MacBook Pro today as it did when I first installed it.

9. HishamAkhtar macrumors 6502a

Believe it or not but I'm actually in your exact same position. I have a 2008 white MacBook and am in med school. I bought the iPad 3 to use around the hospital and have kept my MacBook for home use.

So far it's working out very well. The iPad works much better in the hospital than a laptop would (I'm on clinical rotations now) and you can make notes on the go rather than having to stop, open your laptop and make notes.

If you're not having any problems with your MacBook, then it's not a bad idea to stick with it and get an iPad. But if your MacBook isn't working well then the iPad is not good enough to replace it and I'd suggest going for a MBP.

10. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

As a side note to all the above, consider Apple refurbs for value and money savings. I picked up my first iPad, an iPad2 wi-fi about two months ago for only $319 (they include new battery and outer shell and full warranty) - the wi-fi only models go quickly. Refurb MBP's start at about $929 and are upgradable for ram and hard drive to up to 16gb.

I love my iPad but hate typing on it. I am also still using Snow Leopard on my 2010 MBP - upgrading the OS would require me to spend much more for certain type of software... But everything works.

Refurbs are a great deal, not only to save money but also since you can often sell them for close to what you paid since warranty is same as new and is transferrable.