Upgrade to el Capitan or not?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Young Turk, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Young Turk macrumors 6502

Just received my base model retina MacBook. Do I upgrade to el Capitan or not? What's the consensus on this particular Mac?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is still in beta, so I would wait at least until the final release version.

3. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502

I would update it. It's extremely stable and makes the MacBook straight up fly now.

4. kkchanspider macrumors newbie

just update to El Capitan yesterday, it's fast! though Sophos AV crashed.

5. JoePa2624 macrumors regular

JoePa2624

I updated to El Capitan, a little skeptical. But it has been perfect for me, no issues whatsoever.

6. Saurus504 macrumors member

Had the beta on my old iMac but holding off until the official release for my macbook.

7. kotty macrumors member

The only problem for me is the battery life.
    So if you use it a lot on battery, i recommend wait for the final version.

But El capitan is fast......very fast

8. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

9. cheekyjeremy macrumors regular

ABSOLUTELY. The experience from my perspective is night and day. There are certainly a few glitches with it being a beta, but the general day to day operation is much smoother and faster than Yosemite. The glitches that affect me directly are:

• Fantastical not working properly. They did a release yesterday that now allows it to launch, but it still has issues.
    • Clicking on a PDF or JPG within mail forces Preview to crash. I just set a different app to open those files
    • Mail occasionally crashes, but never when I am using it, always when doing something with safari which leads me to think it is a memory management issue.

Otherwise I love it

10. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

Can you afford to lose data/care about the odd glitch or incompatible program on account of the OS being beta? If yes, than you have nothing to lose!

11. DavidSFenton macrumors newbie

NO!

12. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502

Haha what? If you like animation lag, stay on Yosemite. El Capitan has been awesome in the rMB since July.

13. mccjim12 macrumors member

I'll pose the same question for my mid '12 MBP Classic (2.9 ghz 8 GB RAM) currently running 10.9.4. I don't want to tank it by Running a new OS on older hardware. Had this problem with an iPad.

Is the MBP up to it?

14. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

I have upgraded to El Cap on mine, no problems here :)

15. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Someone wrote in a recent post that they won't be upgrading because, "Quality control went down the drain – things that were working absolutely normal one update ago are FUBARed."

This quality control issue (or lack of it) due to unrealistic 'get it to market' deadlines, is just one of the reasons that I shun major OS updates like the plague. That, plus I'm a dedicated believer in the "if it aint broken, why fix it?" philosophy.
    Perhaps that explains why I'm still on Snow Leopard with my 27" iMac and Mountain Lion on MacBook Pro Retina. And love 'em both; never a problem!
    Any bets that a future major upgrade will forego the current ultra-simplistic dock icons for professional-looking icons?

Also having some difficulty in understanding those who promote upgrading to El Capitan etc, saying, "it's extremely stable and makes the MacBook straight up fly now." Both my aforementioned Macs are ultra-stable, and imho lightening fast.

16. 2128506, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015

2128506 macrumors regular

That was actually me, being a server software developer using nMP as a workstation (couple of Linux VMs with Oracle +web stack and java8+IDE in OS X). Was stupid enough to upgrade.

There are major problems with network stack, socket/descriptor leaks or something like that – after couple of hours of server-type network activity network stack grinds to a halt with nothing in logs. And that network activity originates from Java VM, so these are not my bugs (worked flawlessly in Yosemite for weeks too). Network Settings in prefs takes about a minute to just display a list of interfaces (and it's midrange nMP with extra memory, it definitely should not be so slow :) ).

If that is not FUBAR due to bad regression testing I don't know what is.

Getting ready to roll back to Yosemite, because rebooting twice a day is kinda unproductive.

P.S. But yeah, "No problems at all if I use Safari and Mail only!"
    P.P.S. Wohoo, new emoji! NICE!

17. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502

The Retina MacBook stuttered pretty bad with different animations in Yosemite. The implementation of metal has taken a tremendous load off of the GPU and that was very evident the day I installed it in July. I really haven't run into any major bugs since the first beta was released. The performance from Yosemite is night and day, albeit some weird bugs with Office 2016. Other than that, El Capitan on indeed does make the retina MacBook "fly." I can't speak for any other computer.

18. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Jetcat3, thanks for that info. May have to try v10.11 one of these days on a separate partition.