Upgrade to Family Pack

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thunderclap, May 2, 2008.

1. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

As I mentioned in a previous thread I've recently ordered a refurb MacBook to accompany my Mac Pro. I purchased the standalone versions of Leopard, iLife '08 and iWork '08 for my Mac Pro when they came out. The refurb comes pre-installed with Tiger and iLife '06.

Is there a way I can pay the difference in cost to go from the standalone versions of those three pieces of software to the family pack so I can install them on the MacBook?

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

There is no upgrade path from single to family pack.

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I don't believe there is a "license upgrade" program like there is for Server. I would call to confirm.

Of course, it's stupid because what most people would do in your situation is say "screw it" and just install a second copy that you haven't paid for. I'm not encouraging that, and it's great that you're trying to do the honest thing. It would be good if Apple let you do that.

(You could also sell the single versions and buy the family version, but I realize you'll take a hit on the price)

4. thunderclap thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bummer.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

If you want to be honest about it - the cheapest way is to sell your standalone copies and use that money to purchase family packs...

6. HastaLaVista macrumors member

Oh well, this thread answered my question.

I bought iWork '08 at the same time I bought my refurb MBP 32 days ago. I didn't realize that iWork came pre-installed and ready for trial for 30 days. I decided to hold off on entering the license so that I could upgrade to family if the need were to arise.

So now I am going to get a MB (refurb) for my daughter and the need has arisen (grammar?). I still haven't broken the seal on iWork, though the trial is over and I am running out of options. I doubt I can simply return iWork (I bought it from newEgg) even though it is unopened as it has been 32 days. I'd hoped to find some "upgrade to family from single" option out at Apple, but no luck.

I might try to sell the unopened iWork and just purchase the family pack anyway, even though I won't get full price for the single, it will cost less in the longrun.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

did you order the refurb from apple? on their web site it says that every refurb ships with Leopard, so you shouldn't need an upgrade at all for that one