Upgrade to Final Cut Studio 2

Daud C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Hi guys

Bought an academic version of Production Suite and upgraded it to Final Cut Studio 1 a while back. I now want to upgrade to Final Cut Studio 2 but am not sure if it will work, given the academic version of Production Suite.

Any thoughts or anyone tried this path?

Daud C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
nope... with apple's academic license, there is no upgrade path... you must re-purchase the whole thing.
thanks for the reply:

does that mean then, that my Final Cut Studio 1 Upgrade/Crossgrade of Production Suite was also an academic license? is there simply continuity depending on the original license?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
if u still have the box it would say on the front.
I too hate the fact that i have to repurchase FCS2 to upgrade. I searched ebay and you the academic versions are going for about 300

Daud C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
if u still have the box it would say on the front.
I too hate the fact that i have to repurchase FCS2 to upgrade. I searched ebay and you the academic versions are going for about 300
The FCS 1 Upgrade (from Apple online) came only with the discs (no box) and the installation instructions (inc serial numbers), hence i have no indication of whether it is an academic version or otherwise.

BigJimSlade

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2005
If you have the crossgrade to 5.1 then you have a full version.

Academic licenses where eligible for the crossgrade. When you fire up FCP, does it say Retail or Academic next to the serial number?