Upgrade to Firefox 3.6: Losing Bookmarks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Christopher11, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Christopher11 macrumors regular

Christopher11

I'm using Firefox version 2. I need to upgrade but when I do, I lose my bookmarks and have to go back to the old version. Is there a way to keep them? Thank you.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

An export and import should preserve your bookmarks. You know how to do that? If not, it's easy. Bring up the Bookmark Manager, and find the Export HTML option (it might be called something different in Firefox 2). Save the resulting HTML file somewhere. Install Firefox 3.6. Import the HTML file you exported, using much the same method.

3. Aronnax macrumors regular

4. Christopher11 thread starter macrumors regular

Christopher11

worldwzrd89, this was great advice and thank you. The only issue is, in Firefox 2 there's an option to import "From File" as well as Opera and Safari. When i install 3.6, it just gives me Opera and Safari as options. So, no way it appears from that window to import the html file as you suggested.

I wonder if there's another way to import those bookmarks...

Thanks again.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There is - you tell it not to import anything, then go into the Bookmarks Manager and import the HTML file from there.

6. Christopher11 thread starter macrumors regular

Christopher11

Hey, it worked! Thank you.