Upgrade to from locked micro-SIM to unlocked nano-SIM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Washuu, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Washuu macrumors member

I have an AT&T locked iPhone 4 that uses the micro-SIM. Can I get my phone upgraded in the Apple store to the unlocked A1549(T-Mobile) iPhone 6 with the nano-SIM without trouble?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yup, my carrier Rogers has a "change sim" option on the website its very easy so I can't imagine AT&T being any more difficult

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Not sure just what you're looking to do.

Are you wanting to move from AT&T to T-Mobile as your carrier, or are you wanting to buy a new full-price iphone6 and to use with your existing AT&T line? Why are you bringing T-Mobile into the question?

4. Washuu thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I will look it up on AT&T's site. This is the first time I ever had to deal with a SIM card.

The unlocked phone is billed as the T-Mobile phone when sold and I am just using that notation to clarify the phone I would be purchasing. I plan to keep AT&T as my carrier.

5. stevedusa macrumors regular

As long as the new iPhone you purchased is unbranded / unlocked, all you have to do is just goto AT&T store and ask for a replacement nano-SIM to put into your new unlocked phone.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If I understand this right, OP wants an unlocked phone to use with his existing AT&T account, correct? Then all he needs to do is go to an Apple Store and buy an AT&T phone full price, device only. That will get you an unlocked AT&T phone. Then call AT&T or go to an AT&T store, and tell them you want to switch your account to this phone. No need to buy a T-Mobile phone, or to switch in a new SIM.