Upgrade to ios 6 beta 2 (non developer)

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by EarthNeutron, Jun 15, 2012.

1. EarthNeutron macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Hey,

I'm using ios six beta-1 without being a developer. I'm sure a lot of people are doing this. But what will happen if beta 2 won't be flawed and we won't e able to upgrade to beta 2? Will we be stuck on beta 1, what will happen after it expires?

2. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

3. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Before all the high and mighty douches start having a go at you the actual answer to your questions would be that you can most likely do one of the following.

A) Update the phone in the same way you did this time. If your phones udid is registered then this should be fine.

B) If apple issue it as an over the air / delta update you can update in the settings of your iPhone (or iPad)

C) You can downgrade back to iOS 5. Not sure what this entails exactly. Bit of googling would find the method I'm sure.

4. *Calypso* macrumors regular

Beta 1 expires 17 July. Is there usually a UDID check for OTA updates?

5. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

BTW, who else was upgraded to iOS 6 beta 1 without having a UDID?

6. robbieduncan, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This is straying very close to discussing a method to install pirated software (any copy of the iOS 6 beta not downloaded from Apple via a logged in paid-up developer account is pirated). Be careful.

Edit: to be 100% clear: anyone posting instructions on how to install any copy if iOS 6 without complying with the relevant license conditions which include downloading it from Apple and being a registered developer will be considered to be discussing piracy against the forum rules...

7. nachos4twoo macrumors member

I am a developer but having an issue installing beta 6 on my wifes iphone which is provisioned in my account> any ideas?

8. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Your best bet would be to ask on the Developer forum.
    https://devforums.apple.com/community/ios/ios6beta

I have no idea why it won't work, but that's the appropriate place to discuss problems.

9. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Your udid is a unique number coded to your iphone. We all have one. At some point your udid has been registered as a developer/tester. Non registered iphones would not install the update as was proved if you looked at twitter on the night of the keynote! Lots of people moaning that they couldn't install it!

----------

Apologies if that's what it looked like I was doing. I was trying to answer the question factually and would never post instructions or anything like.

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

My older brother did this to his phone and is now freaking out. I told him that he shouldn't do it but he shouldn't have a problem if he does, but I just read this thread and now he's scared :p

What does he have to do to get back to 5.1.1? I'm telling him to do it sooner rather than later to avoid bricking his phone (if beta 2 patches this issue so he can't update again). I don't think he would have saved the ipsw or anything, I'm not very good with this kind of stuff so I don't know how to help him..

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

DFU mode and restore with iTunes.

12. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Thanks a lot, gonna have him do this now.

I have a developer friend for whom I'm beta testing his app, so he just registered my UDID. I work pretty closely on the app with him, will this allow me to update to all future iOS 6 betas as well? I'd ask him but he's asleep now and I'm curious to know :D

13. snowcrash macrumors regular

snowcrash

Just be sure to let him know that an iOS6 backup is not compatible with an iOS5 backup. If he rolls back to iOS5 iTunes will error him out if he tries to restore from the iOS6 backup. He will have to setup as a new phone. (unless he has a iOS5 backup somewhere) I was going to do a rollback and got to that point and decided to just put 6 back on again and muscle through the bugs.

14. gstevie macrumors 6502

gstevie

Once ur UDID is registered on a developer's account then as long as they stay a paying member to the development program (1yr cycle) then u will be able to update to all iOS beta updates just like u did the 1st time (with no problems) regardles if u do a full restpore and update or update through the delta process on the settings on the iPhone or iPad. Hope that helps. :)

15. gstevie macrumors 6502

gstevie

IF u were able to install beta 1 and activate it with Apple's servers then no matter what check is done by apple (which would be the same as beta 1) will pass.

16. ihonda macrumors 68000

17. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I just installed iOS6 on both a developer and a non-developer iPhone and I was able to restore to 5.1.1 on both.
    You need to do an alt-restore (shift on Windows) rather than just clicking restore.

18. completing macrumors member

All you have to do is changing the version info on your backup.

19. kiwiboi87 macrumors 6502

my partner, was trying iOS 6 on their old iPhone 4. and has been able to downgrade back to 5.1.1
    just need the software package, and like above. do a alt-restore

20. andytr999 macrumors newbie

You cannot downgrade to IOS 5.1.1 in iTunes unless you first download 5.1.1 and shift resore to it. Please register your UDID with the developer program to enjoy the benefits of BETA testing!

21. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

DFU mode then clicking restore has worked for me every time.

22. simsdaniel macrumors regular

I am also using IOS 6 beta one with the flawed iTunes Glitch but I got my UDID registered by a developer. The only thing is that I don't have one of those $100 Apple Developer Accounts. Will I be able to download Beta 2 since my UDID is registered or will I need a Apple Dev. Acc. if Apple fixes the flaw?

23. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

What do you mean by expire? So my phone will magically revert back to 5.1.1 on that day?

24. *Calypso* macrumors regular

No, your phone will magically stop working if you don't update to the next beta. ;)

25. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I had the same issue with my dev account trying to install ios6 on my second iPad (first try on ipad3 worked fine). Waited tried the next morning and was able to register the second device and download the beta software