upgrade to iOS 6 or not?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by jk73, Sep 20, 2012.

1. jk73 macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 4S running iOS 5.1.1. It's clear from this forum that Apple's Maps is a huge step backward, but is that enough that I should stick with 5.1.1 or should I take the plunge because iOS 6 is, on the whole, a net upgrade? (I'm not, I should note, a huge user of Maps in the first place.) Thanks for all feedback.

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

Maps on iOS 6 seems like a disaster. I don't see a major reason to upgrade to iOS 6 yet, especially when free voice turn by turn directions is available with mapquest.

3. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I'd say wait until they sort out the App Store issues. Mine doesn't work at all anymore. Can't even open it. I don't mind everything else.

4. Anotoneher macrumors member

I would definitely wait. I'm having nothing but issues. imessage, app store, maps, etc. Not worth it right now until the problems are sorted. This was a very rushed and buggy update.

5. philamac macrumors regular

6. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

WOW! I'm shocked so many right away said no and are having issues.

I'm running iOS6 on an iPad3 and two 4s phones with no issues.

7. craigtone macrumors newbie

Another vote for no. I have a 4S and I none of my e-mail works now after installing iOS 6!

8. cpuguy18 macrumors regular

cpuguy18

ios 6 works fine on my 4s i wonder why so many people are having problems.

9. Scottyee macrumors regular

Other than the disappointment of missing "Street View" with the new Apple Maps, I'm very happy with the upgrade to iOS6. Thankfully I was able to find and d/l a dedicated iOS Google Streetviewer app that solved that problem, and it runs well on my iPad3 with iOS6. As far as the look and operation of the new iOS Apple Maps app , I actually prefer it because I think the font looks cleaner and easier to read. I also appreciate the large point by point instructions shown as 'green freeway signs' making it easy to read when the next upcoming turn needs to be made. I do notice sometimes though, that the current navigation point location 'sometimes' lags slightly behind where my car is actually located (by 6-10 feet).

I also appreciate Siri and and the impressive speech to text recognition on iOS6, but one impressive thing about iOS6 I noticed right away (though I haven't seen it mentioned by others on the forum yet) is that the icons, background wallpaper, and the screen brilliance and sharpness looks even better than it did on my iPad 3 with iOS 5.1.1. When I showed this to my friend who also owns an iPad 3 but who was planning to wait a few days before upgrading . . . after seeing my iPad screen and comparing his 5.1.1. iPad 3 (viewing app icons & same images) with my iPad 3 (with iOS6), he immediately upgraded his iPad 3 right away, and thrilled with the result.

10. WDSnav91 macrumors member

11. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

I tried out iOS 6 to see what the buzz was about (and really liked it)... then downgraded back to 5.1.1 for jailbreak emulators until iOS 6 jailbreak comes out.

12. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

13. Photogdave macrumors regular

Photogdave

I for one like iOS6. I use a 4s and it installed and has no issues so far.
    battery seems a touch better(good before)
    It seems a touch snappier(good before)
    I love the Maps App. In my area its been awesome. Its evry accurate, more accurate than Google Maps, Bing Map, my new 30day old Garmin.
    Its integration is awesome
    I like how I dont need to set my screen to NEVER turn off just to keep map open like in Google Maps
    I like with screen off, you still get turn by turn and when the turn is approaching, the screen powers up in lock screen displaying map briefly until you turn then powers off again.
    I like the banner it displays in the top giving directions if you've left the app to do other things.

IMO, iOS6 offers some nice new touches.
    Panorama is GREAT!
    New Siri has been even better(i liked before)

I dont know why so many are having issues, but myself and 2 others(one iPad3 and one iPhone 4) have liked it. No issues.

I guess it depends on area you live for Maps, but I suppose you can always go back if you dont like.

14. nparmelee macrumors 6502

We have 6 on 2 iPad 3s, an iPhone 4S and an iPhone 4 and haven't had many of the issues others have. If google maps is important to you, there's still the web page. We are getting used to the new maps and its pretty decent where we are. I just downloaded 12 app updates on my iPad from the App Store, no problems for me. We did have to reboot our wireless router after we installed iOS 6, but that was the worst of it.

15. Psyren macrumors newbie

I personally hate iOS 6, but Im having issues with it.

16. stickybuns macrumors 6502

I wish that I had waited for the bug fix to be released. After upgrading, my battery life went down hill: 100% down to 9% in only 5 hours.

I'm now doing a full restore in the hopes that it was just something that went wonky during the upgrade. Biggest difference that I can see at the moment: 2GBs have disappeared from the "Other" category and are not added to the free space. Fingers crossed that the battery will be fixed.