Upgrade to iOS 7 - 9.3 on iPad 3??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by saxman211, Mar 28, 2016.

1. saxman211 macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2010
    I have an iPad 3 that runs great on iOS 7. I never upgraded to 8 or 9, after seeing a customer in the Apple store complaining about his iPad not working well after upgrading to 8... and all the Apple employee could say was "I'm sorry, I wouldn't have recommended you do that".

I love my iPad 3. The battery life is still great and it's still running pretty smoothly. The problem is, many apps aren't updating. I can't watch CNN news anymore and a couple apps are showing a little lag. So I'm wondering if iOS 9 is MUCH better that iOS 8? Or even iOS 7 on the iPad 3 and if it's safe to upgrade now? Or should I stay on iOS 7? The customer said his iPad was almost inoperable after his upgrade.... I don't want to make the same mistake and think I could keep my iPad for a little longer as long as I don't upgrade to an operating system that won't work well with it. Thanks in advance for your time!
  2. shftoptk macrumors member

Feb 25, 2016
    I have an iPad 2 on 9.3. I only own the device because it is the first Apple product I ever spent a ton of money on (highest storage + 3g network). But I never use it, it is way too slow compared to just about every other device I own. If I were you I would stay on ios 7 or buy a newer ipad. I use a Mini 2 and it is still plenty fast.
  3. RELOAD911 macrumors member

Dec 12, 2009
    No, it isn't. Unless you feel like you absolutely can't live without the latest iOS, please stick to 7. I've made that mistake and I strongly advise against it.
  4. saxman211 thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2010
    Thank you! Will stay on iOS 7 for sure.