Upgrade to iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by diane143, Sep 17, 2014.

1. diane143 macrumors 6502a

I have a 4S and an iPad 3. I haven't upgraded either to 7 because I honestly hate the way it looks. But I've been having horrendous battery problems which a restore and new battery (in the phone - just a restore on the iPad) didn't cure. I've been told I really should update.

Silly me for not paying attention to the iOS 8 date.... my phone is still saying 7.1.2 so I should still be good? It *normally* takes a week or so to get the update notification.

Thanks!
    Diane

2. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I'm downloading iOS 8 right now on my iPhone and one of my iPads. I don't think you can download seven anymore :(
    I hope I'm wrong.. Anybody know how?

3. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I think by tomorrow Apple may stop signing 7.1.2.

4. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got 7 last night. The ipad got the 8 notification an hour later. But worse - I woke up to the phone auto downloading 8!!!!!

5. white4s macrumors 65816

ouch, how?

people are saying ios8 is terrible on 4s

6. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a feeling I hit the "OK" when I moved the phone this morning. I usually don't get the push for a week or so. The iPad got it last night and I dismissed it.

I took it off wifi till I could figure it out, have another thread going on it now.

7. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

In order to keep your iPad 3 and 4s performing well, and stay as fast as they were when you got them, keep them on iOS 6!

How to fix battery life and performance issues for iOS 6:
    You do not have to restore or erase to keep them performing like new. Steps to fix battery and speed issues on your current iOS installation: Settings->General->Reset->Reset All Settings. And then Settings->General->Reset->Reset Network Settings. Also, turning off location services you don't need can conserve battery life. On iOS 7 only, performance and battery life can be improved by turning off background refresh for apps that do not need it.

How to delete downloaded software update: (Only works on iOS 7 and above)
    Settings->General->Usage->Wait for it to load->Click on software update->Click edit on top right->Delete downloaded software update

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

7.1 and above in particular as I recall.

9. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did all that in early June, in addition to a wipe and restore to the latest 6. It didn't do a thing for the iPad but the new battery on the phone helped a bit. Still not as good as new though. I really think newer apps suck more life on an older OS. The battery was shot on the phone but they said it was still showing good on the ipad. I just may try the resets again as it's still draining pretty bad.

Thanks for the info on deleting the software update. 8 never finished downloading so I'm good with that.

I really don't like 7, just too flat for me. Oh well

Thanks for the tips!

10. mhdena macrumors 6502

I have an iphone 4 6.1.3 (use as ipod) and Iphone 5 (6.1.4).

Trading the 4 to AT&T as part of my 6 purchase. Keeping the 5 to use as ipod. Not going beyond 6.1.4.

Have an Ipad Air on 7, may or may not go to 8.

I would keep the ipad 3 and even 4 on 6, same as for an iphone 4s.

11. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Ok, sorry that you are having short battery life with your iPad. The only other things I can think of are:
    If you move your iPad much and it has a GPS, make sure that in Settings -> location services -> system location services, every every system location service is turned off except compass calibration and automatic time zone setting. The rest of the system services send location data to Apple and do not affect features.
    You have a good point, an unoptimized app could be the problem. While you are using apps, evaluate the battery drain of specific apps you use. An app with a new update, that is relatively unoptimized for iOS 6, might drain more battery.
    If you use iCloud, some of your data may be corrupted, or the data syncing process may have gone rogue. Maybe try turning off iCloud?

Wait, scratch that: why don't you reset all data and settings, and set up your iPad without iCloud and other services. Then use it and test the battery for a few days. If you do that and the iPad still has poor battery life, the iPad has an internal hardware problem that is not the battery. If you do that and the battery life is fine, I would maybe enable services, features, and iCloud options one by one to figure out what is causing the problem.

Radical alternative solutions:
    Update to iOS 8, and a bug might be fixed and the battery life might improve. Or chuck your iPad out a window, problem fixed. Or buy a new iPad, problem fixed. Or use your iPad plugged in, problem fixed.