Upgrade to iPhone 6 plus from iPhone 5 worth it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ppone, Sep 29, 2014.

1. ppone macrumors regular

Is it worth upgrading, for those of you who have from iPhone 5 to 6 plus?

2. dragonjinse macrumors 6502

If you have big hands... then it might be worth it.
    I came from 5 too, and got 6+ this morning.

It's too big for me (I'm a girl). But I think I will use to it later.

3. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

My advice: Go with the 6 plus for a brand new (likely better) experience. For the next logical upgrade with a similar experience with improved everything, go with the iPhone 6.

4. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

That's the jump I made. Love it!

5. Bluphyre macrumors member

this is probably the 100th tread on this,

however again it is up to personal preference

i bought the 6+ on launch day, however after realizing you won't get much efficient usage unless you use two hands, i sold my 6+ and got a 6. Alot easier to walk and have a coffee or have something in your hand.

at the end of the day you goota ask yourself how do you use your smartphone? for me, with so much commuting and walking around, the one handed use is just for me. Of course i'd like the bigger screen but you can't have the best of both worlds.

6. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

Yes!

That's what I did. You'll never know just how much you need touch ID until you use it (sooooo Steve Jobsonian).

And that expansive, pixel dense screen!

HUGE UPGRADE

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I am staying put with my iPhone 5. It still works great. The iPhone 6 and 6+ just did not bring enough to my table to convince me to part with my perfectly working phone and spend several hundred dollars. I am hoping Apple can bring out a larger delta next year with the 6s/ 6s+.

8. TRC-WA macrumors regular

64gb 5s to 128gb 6+.

I have big hands. I can use it with just one.

Thanks Apple.

9. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Depends on your hands. I use my 6 Plus one handed just like I did my 5. I thought i wasn't going to be able to, but after relaxing I fell right into the flow and it's no problem for me now whatsoever. Point being, everyone is different.

----------

You'd be surprised. It's a far faster and more capable computer. Once devs catch up to it it'll put the 5 to shame. But the best upgrade from the 5 to the 6 plus is the battery. I was having to plug my 5 in two or three times a day. I charge the Plus once a day.

10. Jayson A macrumors 68000

Not worth it in my opinion. I wish I would have kept my iPhone 5s and kept it on iOS 7.1.

iOS 8 is pretty buggy and glitchy, even on the iPhone 6

11. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Why even ask? Of course it is.

12. ELPresidente720 macrumors 6502

What he said.

Bottom line is the biggest selling feature is the bigger screen. If that ain't worth it, nothing else is likely to change your mind.

13. JoshS macrumors member

I went from a 5 to a 6+. After using the 6+ for a week I picked up my 5 and marvel at the tiny screen wondering how I ever managed to use it.

I'm totally sold on this big beautiful screen.

14. normanfox macrumors 6502a

Personally, Here are the features that are worth upgrading from iphone 5:

1. Screen size. iphone 5 screen is barely usable with browsing these days
    2. Battery - many people don't mind thick phone for bigger battery. Here you have thin phone and big battery.

3. touch ID - I never use password because of the hassle of entering, remembering, and changing it on iphone 5. touch ID is awesome and fast. also the new home button is more solid and durable than that of iphone 5.

4. camera - faster focus and OIS

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, it was well worth it for me.
    Love my Plus.

16. Sparkeze macrumors 6502a

Sparkeze

Yup. I can actually surf on the 6+ whereas I only did it in emergencies on the 5 because of all the zooming in and out and scrolling. The camera is better. The Touch ID is way cooler than I expected. I have T-Mobile so I can do wifi calling, and it's been a lot faster than the 5.

I have small hands and I could not text one handed on the 5. On the 6+, I can do a lot of stuff one handed, not text, but the same kind of things I did one handed on the 5. It's really not a need 2 hands all the time kind of phone.

17. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Yeah. The fact that the processor is more than twice as fast, the motion co-processor, the vastly improved camera over the 5, Touch ID, major battery life upgrade... totally not worth it.

18. schoff0310 macrumors member

schoff0310

Nice to hear! I am female and just ordered 6+
    I dictate all my texts so texting one handed not an issue. I wanted the camera on plus. I just hope I don't look foolish making a phone call!!

19. Sparkeze macrumors 6502a

Sparkeze

After reading a lot of posts about large men who couldn't use the plus I expected a monstrosity lol. It's a lot bigger than 5 but it's not like it's anywhere near the size of an iPad mini.

I also use speech to text in the car and whenever I need to be one handed. :)

20. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah256

General reasons to buy:

1. Larger screen if you want/need it.

2. Larger storage capacity if you want/need it.

3. Better picture taking/video recording ability if you want/need it.

4. Touch ID plus app extensions (the 1PassWord extension btw,works fabulously even without TouchID) seriously increases the security you can achieve over the iPhone 5.

5. ApplePay (online and via generic NFC payment terminals) will start to come into its own over the next 12 months if this interests you.

For me Touch ID is the main selling point, followed closely by the camera and then screen size.

21. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

Yes.