Upgrade to iPhone, Family plan, switching phones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by .JahJahwarrior., Jul 28, 2010.

1. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

I am on a family plan with the rest of my family, but got added several months after they started the plan as I had a contract I was waiting to end. Now, I'm thinking with a $15 data plan, no reason for me not to finally pony up and get an iphone.

But, my number/line is still several months from being "upgradable." I'd have to pay $400 for an iphone. All the other lines would only have to pay $200. I'd rather not wait several months to upgrade. If one of them upgrades, then gives me the iphone, how much would ATT complain at me about switching SIM cards and the data plan from their line, to my line, in the family plan? I'm assuming ATT doesn't want people to do that, I'm sure they'd rather get $200 more out of me. I've seen several people asking about doing this, and very few solid responses. What solid responses I have seen have suggested ATT would cancel the data plan on one line, and open it on the new one, but I don't know how hesitant to do that they would be. If it was a small price difference, I'd bite the bullet, but I don't want to pay 100% more, or wait 4 months..I don't even want to have to renew for 2 years, but I guess you have to...

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Search for "upgrade swap." It's done all the time.

3. JokerD macrumors member

It's very simple, and they won't give you any trouble. I have walked in and told them I want to upgrade one line and then switch it to another line (all on family plan), and they just gave me a new micro-sim programmed to the line I wanted it on. They also took off the data plan without problems.
    They allow you to do it, so go ahead. They are just happy you are renewing a line for 2 yrs.

4. .JahJahwarrior. thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, upgrade swap was the magical search term! Thanks!

For anyone who searches for this and finds my thread, here is the helpful link I found by searching for upgrade swap:

Video

5. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

So is the upgrade option available to EACH person on the Family Plan?

In other words... my wife & I are on a family plan, so 2 lines. The last time either of us got a new phone was years ago (over 3 or 4). Can we BOTH get the iPhone 4 for the upgrade price of $199/$299 -- or just one of us?

Thanks.

6. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

You can check on wireless.att.com, but definitely both of you will be eligible.

7. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Excellent. Didn't realize that.

Thanks!