Upgrade to iTunes Plus when 2 libraries share files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hauntedcity, May 4, 2009.

1. hauntedcity macrumors member

hauntedcity

Here's the situation... I have a centralized network location where I store my "iTunes Music" directory. This location contains all the media (music and video), but no library information. We have 2 computers with separate libraries that use the files on this network drive. Each computer has its own set of playlists, podcast subscriptions, and devices (ipods and iphones) that attach to it. I set it up this way so we would not duplicate files, but so that each computer could be customized to each user.

SO! Now, I'm interested in upgrading all my tracks to iTunes Plus (1091 total songs). I did a test by upgrading only 1 album on my MacBook Pro. The problem is that the other computer (an iMac) could not find any of the tracks in the album, and I had to manually one-by-one find the files for each track.

Usually, the computers stay pretty well in sync. I've actually changed an album name on one computer, and the other computer automatically updated its location with no input from me. However, this is a major obstacle to rid myself of DRM. Any ideas on how I can upgrade without changing the pointer to the file for each and every track on the 2nd computer?

Thanks,
    Doug

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

- Close iTunes
    - Locate your library file at /Users/username/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml.
    - Drag the library file to your Desktop.
    - Do a search and replace for the file path you are wanting to change.
    - Save the file.
    - Open up iTunes and select Import from the File menu.
    - Navigate to the iTunes Music Library.xml file on the Desktop.
    - Select Choose and you should be good to go.