Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2006
Los Angeles
I still have Tiger and I want to upgrade to Java 1.6. Every time I do a software update, it downloads and installs a new version of java supposedly, but in terminal, i run java -version and it still says 1.5.
help?

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I still have Tiger and I want to upgrade to Java 1.6. Every time I do a software update, it downloads and installs a new version of java supposedly, but in terminal, i run java -version and it still says 1.5.
help?

There is no official Java 6 version available for Tiger. Apple only supports Java 6 on Leopard, and there only on the 64-Bit Intel architecture, meaning you have to have a Core 2 Duo or Xeon CPU; Core Solos and Core Duos are not supported.

However, you can try the Open Source port of Java 6 for FreeBSD, called "Soy Latte":
http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/static/soylatte/

toddburch

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
Katy, Texas
And, you have to go to /Applications/Utilities/Java to open the Java preferences app pain to set which JVM you want to use.

Stay on 5. Save your self some headaches.

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I can't speak for PowerPC or Tiger users, but I've had no problem running Java 6 on my Intel Macs for all my Java stuff.

toddburch

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
Katy, Texas
I can't speak for PowerPC or Tiger users, but I've had no problem running Java 6 on my Intel Macs for all my Java stuff.

You obviously haven't tried writing an Applet that is destined to run in Safari. :eek:

Or been to any web sites that have applets that exploit 1.6 features.

Safari is 32 bit. JDK 1.6 on a Mac is 64 bit only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.