Upgrade to Leopard from Tiger ... Cloned Disk Migration?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eVolcre, Sep 19, 2008.

1. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

It's finally time to upgrade my machine to Leopard. I was waiting to first buy the MBA, then the new MBP, then was traveling and now I'm bored and figured a new OS *might* feel like a new toy for a while.

I'm going with a erase and install but wanted to confirm the exact process to make sure I'm not going to lose anything.

Going to go with an erase and install. I don't have a backup of my machine but have a cloned drive through Carbon Copy. Can I use migration assistant to bring everything over from a clone?

Do I have to do anything else manually? Applications, settings, passwords, music, photos everything comes over through migration assistant?

Thanks in advance

eV

2. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

A follow up question (I'm on dialup in the field and my search/google capabilities are limited)

If I do a clean install and then a migration assistant from my cloned drive, do I have to reinstall any application? iWork, iLife, MS Office etc. This would be a deal killer because I don't have any of the install discs with me at the moment.

Thanks - eV

3. polar-blair macrumors regular

Whats the point in doing a clean install then copying everything you had back to the mac in the first place, I cant see it making much difference in the end, you would probably be better off (at the moment anyway) just to upgrade the OS.

4. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I want to do a clean install to wipe my HD for a virgin Leopard install deleting languages etc to save space.

I DEFINITELY want to copy everything I had before over to my MAC including apps, settings, documents, pictures, movies etc.