Upgrade to Leopard is an extra 9 Gigs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BigBoatBuick, Jun 15, 2009.

1. BigBoatBuick macrumors newbie

Hi all. I still consider myself a Mac newbie even though I "switched over" a little less than a year ago. I'm a late adaptor, so I just upgraded from Tiger to Leopard10.5.6 yesterday. I was nervous about doing it, but the upgrade was easier than I thought (cloned/backup Tiger to an external Firewire HD, fresh install, and then used Migrate assistant to bring back all my apps and files)

However, I noticed 2 things:

1) my wireless internet connection isn't working

2) Leopard was an extra 4 Gigs extra off my HD. The software updates that I needed after that (for 10.5.7, and various other updates) was going to take another 4+ gigs.

Is this all common problems, or did I do something wrong? Any light you guys can shine on this would be great.

P.S. I have a Macbook Pro.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Apple changed the way wireless connectivity works in Leopard. If you're using something more complicated than WPA to connect (such as LEAP or PEAP), you'll need to dig around in System Preferences to find the new settings interface.

As for your space concerns - that's 100% normal for a Tiger to Leopard upgrade. I had the same thing happen on an iMac G5 that I upgraded.