Upgrade to Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sOwL, Mar 6, 2008.

1. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

hello, ive waited a long time sticking with my tiger version of mac os x. I finally got the leopard dvd (they shipped it to me). Im impressed with all those new leopard features so i rly want to install it, but i have some concerns. Im too satisfied with tiger's stability, it never crashed on me 2 years now, its very fast and smooth. Will it be the same with leopard? Will leopard's speed get significant slower? Are some bugs ive heard fixed by now? Also, i wanted to go with a clean install but it seems i got too much stuff to bother putting them again, so ill propably just upgrade. This wont reset all my personal settings right? So finally, overall, does it worth it yet, or should i wait? All i need is an honest 'yes' or 'no'. Thnx in advance

2. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi!

I had the same concerns as you - I was really satisfied with my Tiger installation. So what I did, was to first install Leopard on an external hard drive, so I could play around with Leopard while still having the safe haven of my Tiger installation being on my internal hard drive.

For me the new and improved features of Leopard clearly outweigh the one downside Leopard had for me (no bluetooth support in Address Book). So my answer is: Yes, definitely!

You might want to follow this thread as well, seems to be going into pretty much the same direction.

Hope this was helpful.

/Rupert

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you bought it so you may as well install it. dont worry about the negatives atm just enjoy the upgrade. if you get any problems worry about them then.

Leopard for me is just as fast maybe even faster than Tiger but i get more application crashes. there seems to be more crash logs.

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I too would recommend going to Leopard, although a friend who has a 1.5 Ghz G4 Mac Mini (one of the first ones) thinks Leopard is a little bit slower for his set-up.

5. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

thnx for the replies. and no, in fact i didnt buy it, its just i bought a mac few time be4 leopard came out, so they gave it to me for free. And i might sound stupid that im concerned about speed issues, coz im using a macpro with 2gigs of ram. but meh, i wouldnt like it to be slower, im used to it :). What i will actually do is make a backup of my tiger os in an external drive, but then dont just install leopard, ill upgrade the HDD version of my tiger and see how it goes. Apple keep it going, u must never stop ruling microsux!

6. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

2 GB of RAM will do it for Leopard.
    Apple has a different approach to OS Upgrades. They make reasonable old hardware faster. I upgraded my Powerbook - 1.67 GHz - 1.5 GB RAM to Leopard and the performance is very nice.

Cover Flow in Finder is a bit slow, useable but to slow anyway for me. Since I don't use it in Finder, I don't bother.

/Rupert

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I bought an iMac on Sunday and was very impressed with Leopard. I decided to upgrade my MBP with Leopard after that. The upgrade went well with one minor problem: My Sprint Broadband Card no longer would make a connection. After doing some Google searching, I found a post where others recommended a fresh instal of Leopard and the connection problems would be solved. I did a fresh install and as suggested by what I read, my broadband card worked without any problems.

All I did was copy my mail folder and my pictures folder and a few other things to another drive, then copied them back once Leopard was installed. Didn't lose a thing. All my music was already on my drive attached to my Airport Extreme.

Leopard has been very solid in these past few days of using it on both of my computers.

8. spellflower macrumors regular

I just finished my first week of Leopard, and I'm enjoying the extra features, and haven't had any problems with it.

I do have one disappointment: I'd really hoped that Apple would make it possible to just unplug external drives without "properly putting them away," but no such luck. PCs have allowed this for years, but my new super duper macbook still needs me to ask nicely if I can unplug something.:(